Unanswered: Run query on the form

Hi,

I have a MS Access question,

Firstly, I created a query, which needs to input Vendor Name, code to find data.
    [Vendor Name], and [code]

on the form, I want to run that query.

I did that create the button to run the query, but it needs me to enter [vendor name], and [code] manually.

Now, I want to create 2 fields and one button on the form, the 2 fields are [vendor name] and [code] using combox (dropdown list). The button is running the query. From these 2 fields, I will click the combox to input the data, after that, press the button to run the query.

Right now, the problem is that how can I transfer the [vendor name] and [code] values to the query's criteria (query needs to input [vendor name] and [code]) to find the data.

It's so hard. I still don't know.

Does any body know? Please let me know, thanks a lot. Thanks.
    Appreciate.

Provided Answers: 1
    Suppose your to text boxes on the form are called TxtVendor and TxtCode
    In your query instead of putting [vendor name] write Forms!yourFormName!TxtVendor
    Also
    instead of putting [Code] write Forms!yourFormName!TxtCode

Lightbulb

Forget to tell you aobut the button
    in the on Click event of your button put the next code

Docmd.OpenQuery "YourQueryName"

When are you going to take a class and stop posting 2-3 questions per day? The fact that you had to ask "what is a backend" after actively developing a database for over two months is terrifying and pathetic. For the record, you've asked 92 questions in two months, most of which were readily available through the help system. Your questions account for well over 10% of ALL the posts for the Access forum since september 20.

I mean seriously, let's look at your posting history just for last week:
    • 11/21 - 4 questions
    • 11/20 - 2 questions
    • 11/19 - 1 question
    • 11/18 - 4 questions
    • 11/17 - 1 question
    • 11/16 - none... did you have the day off?
    • 11/15 - 7 questions

that's 19 questions in 7 days. You're not looking for help, you're looking to get paid good money for other people's expertise. I tip my hat to your entrepreneurial spirit and thumb my nose at your blatant disregard for others generosity and hard work.

I for one am through politely asking you to do your own work and take some initiative towards solving your problems before asking for help.

If you're simply in over your head for whatever project you took on, talk to your supervisor and stop whoring our work as yours.
    Last edited by Teddy; 11-23-05 at 11:33.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Teddy:

I am so sorry to ask many questions, because I am stupid guy. I learn the MS Access myself. I am beginner. I only have basic level. I will try to search help before posting.

For everyone,
    I am so sorry to post many questions in this forum.
    I thank you guys to help me.

Thank You So Much.
    Thank a lot.
    Last edited by accessman2; 11-23-05 at 12:09.

Quote Originally Posted by accessman2
    Teddy:

I am so sorry to ask many questions, because I am stupid guy.
    Asking many questions is not an indication of intelligence or lack thereof. Asking questions of others when the answer is under your nose, repeatedly, over extended periods of time... well that's another story.

I learn the MS Access myself. I am beginner. I only have basic level.
    How do you propose to fix that? Might I suggest, for the N'th time, a class, book or tutorial?

I will try to search help before posting.
    HALLELUJAH!!!

I would love to see you acquire a good foundation to work from and ask questions when you are unable to find an answer for yourself. That's what we're here for. We are NOT here to take you from zero to professional developer WHILE you're being paid for using our work. It is a subtle but distinct difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Asking many questions is not an indication of intelligence or lack thereof. Asking questions of others when the answer is under your nose, repeatedly, over extended periods of time... well that's another story.

How do you propose to fix that? Might I suggest, for the N'th time, a class, book or tutorial?

HALLELUJAH!!!

I would love to see you acquire a good foundation to work from and ask questions when you are unable to find an answer for yourself. That's what we're here for. We are NOT here to take you from zero to professional developer WHILE you're being paid for using our work. It is a subtle but distinct difference.

Thanks Teddy, I think you speak for many of us. And Accessman2, he is just being upfront and honest with you, not being abusive, just trying to get you to help yourself first. Go to square one, read about Relational Databases and the like. I myself am self taught and it is hard, but that's just like anything else in the beginning. The more you study and practice the easier it sometimes gets, and when you hit a wall...THEN the forums are there to help you.
    Have a nice one,
    BUD

Conspiracy theory

accessman2 arrived just before all the post history went missing. This and the many postings were all part of accessman's masterplan to dominate the forum. Luckily we had TeddyMan and BudRobin to thwart the evil one

That was meant in jest accessman2. Don't stop posting just try to help yourself before posting. I agree with Teddy's and Bud's comments and they were made in order to help you help yourself develop.

I think of books/tutorials versus forums as tools v skills. The books/tutorials are great for showing you the tools that are available. The forums are great to refining the skills to use those tools (obviously there is some overlap but you get the idea). You can't expect people to describe to you how to build a dog kennel without you having an understanding of how to use the tools needed to make it. "With the hammer, nail the roof on" - "What's a hammer ?"

Do read up on normalisation etc and the other things Teddy mentioned. Do use the Access help key. Do post when you get stuck and have had a go at the solution.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bud
    Thanks Teddy, I think you speak for many of us. And Accessman2, he is just being upfront and honest with you, not being abusive, just trying to get you to help yourself first.
    Indeed. I used to do the same thing as our good buddy Accessman2. When I was just getting started in production database environments, I developed a horrible dependency on the rest of the dev team and various forums. Instead of checking help files and searching resources readily available, I would pop my head over the cube wall and bug our lead developer or whine in a forum until someone answered out of pity. Eventually he had enough and refused to answer any more rudimentary questions unless I could demonstrate that I really did take an honest crack at doing it myself. To me it felt like he was asking me to learn advanced German from a textbook written in basic German. I didn't understand it at the time and I felt discouraged and hurt as our lead developer was a good friend of mine. It seemed like he was intentionally trying to hold me back.

I still occassionaly find myself thanking him for effectively me to be self-sufficient. There is nothing any school, person, book or tutorial can teach you that's more valuable than learning to solve your own problems. I can now quickly acquire additional skills and methods by simply reading documentation. I can skim through other developers' code and find ways to tweak the concept of the code to my requirements instead of simple cut and paste with no understanding of what the code does. Furthermore, I have been able to apply that skill to more than just software/database development.

I later learned that our lead developer learned how to find their own solutions in much the same way, with similar symptoms of reliance. He looks back on his trial-by-fire much as I do, with gratitude and respect. If I can guide someone else along the same path, well that just gives me the warm-fuzzies.