Talking Unanswered: Bear with me..I'm new

I am wanting to create a query that when run, shows all the homes that are due for inspection on the specified date(that the user inputs)
    So far I have two fields, Property address and NextInspectionDue. In Design view under NextInspectionDue Criteria I typed Like"*" so as to open up a parameter box asking the user to enter the date they want to search. But when it runs, it shows all the addresses, not just the ones on a certain date. I am VERY new to this so what am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by HellNZ; 11-22-05 at 23:54.

Nevada, USA
    Provided Answers: 6
    Try a criteria of

[Enter date]

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    Your Like "*" tells the query to select ALL dates. Try pbaldy's suggestion.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

The Bottom of The Barrel
    Provided Answers: 1
    Read up on wildcard characters, your issue is a misunderstanding of what they do.

Also, we may be able to assist you with a better table design depending on what you currently have. Are you actually using property address for the key, or is there more to the query?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks that definitely worked. I have only been learning database for a couple of weeks now( mostly the design stage ERD's, normalization etc..)and haven't actually tried creating a real one. So I'm starting small and don't even know if I have the design correct. The project is to create a database for a relatively small property management company to show the properties, tenants and the clients. So far I have three tables: Properties,Tenants, Client.
    A Client can own more than one property
    A Property can have more than one tenant
    A tenant cannot belong to more than one property
    A Property can only belong to one owner
    With no many-to-many realtionships. So it should be real simple.
    The client wants to be able to search for properties when needed and determine who the tenant is, run queries such as when the what inspection's are due on a certain date, add new properties,clients,tenants. Just the basic stuff a property managment business would won't.
    Anyway now I've bored you to tears I'll get back to it.
    Cheers HellNZ

I am wanting to create a query that when run, shows all the homes that are due for inspection on the specified date(that the user inputs)
    Here's something I put together that may give you some ideas about making time periods and other criteria dynamic.

The free downloadable sample database at uses the query by form concept so that on the invoices dialog one can optionally choose a rep, a customer, and perhaps a date range, click on a button that says "Input," and then have the invoice form open up showing all the invoices that match the criteria.
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips