Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    Unanswered: Slow report using 2 datasources

    Hi,

    I have created a report that uses 2 datasources (SAP and SQL through ODBC). These 2 are linked together on a couple of fields in the database expert.

    Unfortunately, when I try to run the report is runs terrubly slow. It has to fetch approx. 5000 records, and you can see it counting at the bottom at about 3 records per second. Yo can also see the message 'reading records' at the bottom.

    When I delete the SQL-datasource from the report, it runs fast enough. Is there anything I'm overlooking here?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    178
    If you are using two fields to link two datasource, this could slow it down. Can you just use one field to link both datasources. Also use key fields or index ones to link if possible.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2
    No success unfortunately.

    I really need to link the two tables on 2 fields (customernumber and period)

    What I tried is creating a query in SAP that concatenates these 2 fields into 1, and creating a query likewise in SQL.

    I could then link the 2 queries together on 1 field, but unfortunately it is still very slow.
    Since I'm working with 2 queries now, I don't think there is a way to create indexes on them etc...

    Any other ideas?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    178
    Sometimes it would take only one bad link to slow your report execution other than having calculation, parsing, concatenation, formulas, etc.
    I maintained a very large corporate wide database and the tables would have over 340,000 records that would link to more than 11 tables. I have a crystal report that could filter out more or less 100 records in 2 seconds. Talking about multiple 11 table links.

    I could only suggest since I don't know what you have in the report.

    Because of my large database I always wanted to maximize the report speed.

    First, I start with one link between two datasource. If that runs good, I add another link that I needed and run it again and so forth. By doing this I could pin point exactly where the bug down is.

    You mentioned that if you removed the SQL datasource the remaining would run faster.
    I would suggest to create another report separately just to test your SQL datasource and do the same thing I mentioned by linking one field at a time between tables. A lot of times it is best to let Crystal do the record selection from the menu than creating your own manually.

    After you fine tuned the two datasources then you can link them together step by step.
    Last edited by fredservillon; 11-29-05 at 15:20.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •