Unanswered: SQL server does not exist or access denied

I am trying to download pet shop application and I get this error SQL server does not exist or access denied. I able to work with my own applications. One thing I do knonw is different with my database is when I shut it down I get this message, " save console settings to sql server enterprise manager". Never seen that before, something tells me that is the root of my problems. any advice?

San Antonio, TX
    Saving console message doesn't have anything to do with not being able to connect to the server. The first one is a result of opening .MSC file which by default is asking you to save the changes to the default template. The second usually indicates misspelling of the server name or inability to reach it due to your current network configuration.
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

There are lots of possibilities here; you'll need to post a bit more information about your environment in order to get useful answers:

1. What version of SQL are you using (7.0, 2000, Developer Edition, Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition or MSDE)?

2. What operating system are you using (Windows 2000, XP, 2003, etc...)

3. Is the database installed on the same machine as the application?

4. Under what circumstances (if any) can you connect to the database? Are you sure that the database exists (ie, is the application expecting the database to have already been created?)?

Have you hugged your backup today?