Thread: Query confusion

Unanswered: Query confusion

I am having problems with a simple query. I want the query to search for rental properties between a certain price range e.g $150 and $200...that the user inputs. I have propaddress and rentamount in design view. Under rentamount criteria I tried Between[enter amount] AND [enter amount] and of course this doesn't do what I want....What am I doing wrong?...
    Also I want to set it up so that the user can only enter the fields DateVacated or DateOccupied at one time (i.e a property can not be vacant and occupied at the same time)
    Cheers
    HellNZ(rookie)

Provided Answers: 59
    sounds like you need to put front end to handle the business logic. sounds grand - but its 'just' a form to do your validations

how you handle the processing of the data is up to you. You can do it as a paramterised query, or write the SQL based on the values in the form

the code to access the values in yoiur form is
    forms!<myformname>!<myvariablename>

the between clause is the right one for your rental range - assuming of course that you have a range (i'm not too sure what JET woudl do if you cited a range 299-299, it'll probably work but you need to check it works for you.

As an alternative to your date problem you could consider having a single date called say DateofLastChangeover, and a status flag (I'd suggest an intger or byte - possible values could be rented, vacant, vacant - not available etc.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by HellNZ
    I am having problems with a simple query. I want the query to search for rental properties between a certain price range e.g $150 and $200...that the user inputs. I have propaddress and rentamount in design view. Under rentamount criteria I tried Between[enter amount] AND [enter amount] and of course this doesn't do what I want....What am I doing wrong?...
    Also I want to set it up so that the user can only enter the fields DateVacated or DateOccupied at one time (i.e a property can not be vacant and occupied at the same time)
    Cheers
    HellNZ(rookie)
    Are you trying to include the ($) sign as well? Leave that part out. I just tried a sample of what you have and it worked fine.

BUD

Quote Originally Posted by HellNZ
    HellNZ(rookie)
    You appear to be using the same parameter twice in the BETWEEN, "[enter amount]".

This is like saying "WHERE col1 BETWEEN 5 AND 5"

You need, "BETWEEN [first amount] and [second amount]".

Quote Originally Posted by chris_n_osborne
    You appear to be using the same parameter twice in the BETWEEN, "[enter amount]".

This is like saying "WHERE col1 BETWEEN 5 AND 5"

You need, "BETWEEN [first amount] and [second amount]".
    Hey, good catch there. Thought it was just a typo.