Unanswered: RETAINING "WORKING DIRECTORY" CONFIGURATION

I upgraded from Paradox 9 to 10, having used 9 for the last five years with no major problem, except that it wouldn't allow table-sharing.

Anyway, I hoped for major improvements and was of course disappointed. And ONE new "BUG" has led me to reinstall version 9. Unbelievable!!

With 9, every time the programme or Windows crashed, one had to reset the "Working Directory" to one's own, rather than the default. Then, between crashes, Paradox opened to the WD set.

With Paradox 10, I have to reset the WD EVERY TIME. Total waste of time. Anyone know if there is there some new thinggy in version 10 that would cause this, and WHY?

I have supported Paradox for years, which in MS obsessed France is bloody hard going. I think I am close to giving up the losing battle. Shame!

Let's See

What version of Windows are you using and is your network (Assuming the working drive is networked) Windows Netware or other. The biggest cause of a freeze out I have found is when someone logs in without being first connected to the network or have their net dir pointing locally rather than on a shared network. But more infor is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirchheim

except that it wouldn't allow table-sharing

With Paradox 10, I have to reset the WD EVERY TIME. Total waste of time.

I have supported Paradox for years, which in MS obsessed France is bloody hard going. I think I am close to giving up the losing battle. Shame!
    Pdox 9 wouldn't allow table sharing? I've got nearly 20 clients which used Pdox9 for years in a shared db setup for YEARS...

It never happened to me that the WD had to be reset each and every time with Pdox 10; surely you're NOT using :WORK: for your tables, don't you? I'ts a bad idea: you should have a specific alias, such as : DAT:, for your tables; Don't ever keep your tables NOR in :WORK: NOR in :PRIV:!

Don't give up! We'll get you out of trouble!
    Last edited by Shores; 12-08-05 at 09:50.
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

I had the same problem with Paradox 10 loosing it's settings as well after installing PDX Service pack 2. Every time I restarted The XP workstation and started up Paradox it would be back at the default settings.
    It was a script that Corel put in startup that would clean any old settings from other installs that could mess up any newer versions.
    To Fixtart menu, Run, Type in MSCONFIG.EXE
    The System config utility will come up.
    Find the tab Startup, select it.
    scroll through till you find an entry called
    PDXREGCLEAN or somthing like that, and uncheck, then restart.
    Set you default again and your done.
    Sorry I don't know the exact file that does so, but it was last week this happend.

I upgraded from Paradox 9 to 10, having used 9 for the last five years with no major problem, except that it wouldn't allow table-sharing.!
    Map the network share as a drive letter. Right Click My network... Map network drive Z: and not E: so if you add an extra cdrom or somthing it won't override the mapping. Go into your control panel bde icon. Select Paradox driver and put in the drive you mapped to your data as the net control dir.
    Do this to all of your workstations and they will all share the data. I know the instructions are a bit choppy. They'll get you going in the right direction.
    Anyway, I hoped for major improvements and was of course disappointed. And ONE new "BUG" has led me to reinstall version 9. Unbelievable!!
    ver. 10 Is doing fine for me. We upgraded from ver. 8 only because the tech before me ran off with the install cd. But for some reason I can't get my reports to print out on Legal size paper, it keeps cutting it off as if it were printing on Letter size. I wish I could get a copy of ver. 9 to downgrade to!
    With 9, every time the programme or Windows crashed, one had to reset the "Working Directory" to one's own, rather than the default. Then, between crashes, Paradox opened to the WD set
    If your not shraring the DB with others, put your data into the default WD. So after a crash, No Worries.
    With Paradox 10, I have to reset the WD EVERY TIME. Total waste of time. Anyone know if there is there some new thinggy in version 10 that would cause this, and WHY?
    Check to make sure that the update manager is not automaticly doing updates. You can find that in the control panel as well.
    I don't wish to support Corel. If it were up to me I would go with MS Access.
    Corel has the worst Customer support, and the lack of doc from the vendor as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodjim48
    I had the same problem with Paradox 10 loosing it's settings as well after installing PDX Service pack 2. Every time I restarted The XP workstation and started up Paradox it would be back at the default settings.
    It was a script that Corel put in startup that would clean any old settings from other installs that could mess up any newer versions.
    To Fixtart menu, Run, Type in MSCONFIG.EXE
    The System config utility will come up.
    Find the tab Startup, select it.
    scroll through till you find an entry called
    PDXREGCLEAN or somthing like that, and uncheck, then restart.
    Set you default again and your done.
    Sorry I don't know the exact file that does so, but it was last week this happend.
    The file is named pdxregclean, but in any case you should NOT be confident that pdx alias settings don't change between runs: you should use

udmsession.addAlias (": DAT:","Standard","c:\....")

of the session type to setup at every run your own aliases, DIFFERENT from WORK and PRIV, where you'll store the tables.

About moving to Ms Access, THAT would really be a nightmare: i've built some complex apps in Access and i can tell you that Access's VB flavour is quite bad, no real OOP, many tricks necessary to do simple things... Never again!
    Last edited by Shores; 07-30-06 at 13:27.
    The only failure is not trying to do it.

OzBrian -Another approach to retaining "Working Directory"

Why not create a start-up form with a start button which sets up your private and working directories and opens what ever forms you want on the desktop - you have to restart Paradox if it crashes - this form can do it all for you

Problems !!

1. the first release of version of Paradox 10 would only allow one instance per machine, which was a bug left over from testing and was fixed by a patch. As for not allowing table-sharing; that's sometimes been a problem with Access but never Paradox, which has been multi-user since somewhere in the mid-eighties !

2. You shouldn't use either the work or the private directories as created by Paradox. Here are the reasons:
    a. :WORK: in one country is :ARBEIT: in another, etc ..... very bad for cross-border work !
    b. :PRIV: is :PRIVAT: is :PRIVE: .... very bad for cross-border work !
    c. some SQL will not function out of a directory aliased :PRIV:
    d. You should split your data and code so as to make your application more robust.

My VERY STRONG recommendations:

a. start your application with a command line in a shortcut that provides the private and work directories and also a startup script, which will be the only Paradox code in the :WORK: directory
    b. in that script, read an ini file and define all your aliases as project aliases.
    c. Once all is set up, continue.

If you want help, rather than doing all that yourself, look on mirwin.homestead.com or www.tekstlogik.com for the PASS development kit for Paradox - the documentation in it will explain more.
    ================================================

One of you also says:

<<ver. 10 Is doing fine for me. We upgraded from ver. 8 only because the tech before me ran off with the install cd. But for some reason I can't get my reports to print out on Legal size paper, it keeps cutting it off as if it were printing on Letter size. I wish I could get a copy of ver. 9 to downgrade to!>>

The explanation is that Borland had to cut some corners when they were putting out their last version (7) because their team kept on getting cut back ! The reports suffered rather a lot and, as things got improved by Corel over the releases (7.5 - 8 - 9 - 10) they found that tthere were some really broken bits about there reports by v9, so they rewrote them in v10.

In v10 you can do some nice things with reports, and a lot of the little snits are gone.

Once again, you should be able to find lots of other static snippets on my web site, or that of the Paradox Community.