Unanswered: Web-Accessible Access Database

Hi All,

I have a Secure Access Database [workgroup, users, user groups and object access permissions already set up] which I'd like users to access via the web.

I'd like a situation where the database is accessible from a website and a user is prompted for a logon username and pwd when he/she tries to access the database. The user is then granted access to specific database objects based on the logon information.

I'd like to avoid a situation where I'd have to have a copy of the work group file on each individual PC that needs access to this database.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how this can be achieved
    Last edited by utcheyangel; 11-28-05 at 08:44.

Provided Answers: 59
    How are you deploying your data - are you using a scripting language such as PHP or VBScript / C# (ASP) or are you planning on using Access's: Data Access Pages.

Incidentally you don't need to copy the workgroup file to every PC - in fact its not a good idea as every time you make a change it has to be replicated to evry user. It should be availble from a network visible drive. You can specify the workgroup that access uses on opening an application using a switch (offhanbd I think its something like "/W <workgroupfilename>"

So far I haven't planned to use any scripting.
    I want the quickest easiest method and I guess that would be using Access' Data Access Page.

What is your suggestion?

Provided Answers: 59
    If ALL you web visitors have a copy of Access, or a suitable licensce for the client library then Data Access pages may work. (so that rules out people using many MAC's, *nix OS's, let alone thos without office professional)

My weapon of chice for web design is usually PHP / MySQL, although I have used ASP scritping and alos other databases -with the data maintenance function done in a local copy of MS Access.

The rality is that most customers are cost concsious and don't want to pay the cost of SQL server.

I'm told some ISP's can support native Access JET databases how they support the manipulation of that data is up to them. What ISP's have you investigated so far - what do they support.

I haven't investigated any ISP.

The database I have will not be accessible to all our website visitors. Access will be granted to a pre-selected group of users that need access to the database from various locations. As far as I know they all have copies of MS Access on their PCs.

Seems DAP is the way to go then. Right?
    Can you recommend an online guide that clearly states[step by step] how to go about this?

Well it's not exactly data access pages, but it's a step beyond that - regular ASP pages. An advantage with regular ASP pages is that every user doesn't need client-side access to the database - just the server itself needs the access to the database.

Perhaps these may hopefully give you some ideas:

Web Database Concept
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/concept.asp

Classic ASP Design Tips - Login Page
    http://www.bullschmidt.com/devtip-loginpage.asp
    J. Paul Schmidt, Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com
    Access Database Sample, Web Database Sample, ASP Design Tips