Question Unanswered: Importing excel data

When I import data from Excel 2003 to FileMaker Pro 5 I get a lot of blank records. The excel file has 22,289 rows (1st row is a header) and 3 columns, when I import it into Filemaker I get 43,775 records of which 21,487 are blank. Does anyone know how I can stop getting all these blank records?

Perhaps there are line returns within the text of your fields. Does the data look right if you export to tab-separated text or something?

Excel can hold a weird sort of memory "of rows used", especially if
    you started with a very deep excel file and trimmed it off.
    If I suspect this happening save the file as a text file, open in word,
    save as another name then import that file into Filemaker.
    If you still can't stop it, its easy enough find all the empty records
    then delete them.

cheers, r

You don't say which os or platform

CRLF is not always CRLF.

(What Ender said !)

Quote Originally Posted by sportman
    When I import data from Excel 2003 to FileMaker Pro 5 I get a lot of blank records. The excel file has 22,289 rows (1st row is a header) and 3 columns, when I import it into Filemaker I get 43,775 records of which 21,487 are blank. Does anyone know how I can stop getting all these blank records?
    I was wondering if you were importing the Excel file itself or a tab [or other] delimited version of the original Excel.

If the first one, then I would save first as a tab-delimited text file and try exporting that into FMP.

Of course, as another poster noted, this is hardly the most pressing issue, since the blank records can very quickly and easily be found and removed... or can they?