Unanswered: Shrinking Transaction Log

Hi All,

I have steps that I take to shrink transaction log. One of the steps is to delete the transaction log after I detach the database. Am I losing any data by doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by inka
    Hi All,

I have steps that I take to shrink transaction log. One of the steps is to delete the transaction log after I detach the database. Am I losing any data by doing that?
    Yikes!! Double yikes!!

You are not necessarily risking data doing this. When you detach the database from the server, SQL should "clean up" transactions and any uncommitted data will be thrown away. However, this is certainly NOT in the realm of best practices. For one thing, you are taking your database off line to do this which means your customers or your business are not getting answers. Also, you run the risk of deleting the wrong file or having something else catastrophic happen.

Crack open SQL Books on Line. Have a look at the Recovery Model. Open up a Maintenance wizard and step through the process of making a full backup and then a transaction log backup.

When scheduled regularly, a transaction log backup should prevent the log file from growing too large and should enable you to recover your database to any given point in time (a great thing for when that 'special' user does something really unexpected).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Provided Answers: 11
    Where exactly did you get that step?