Exclamation Unanswered: Link Access Table to .dat file using DBASE

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone knew how to link an access table to a .dat file using dBase. The .dat file is the same format as a .dbf table. It is written the same way, but access won't read the file because it's not a .dbf file. I would use a .dbf file, but I need another software to read the table as well and that software will only read .dat files. I tried using the text driver, but the .dat file i'm using isn't an ordinary text file. It is a table file.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Create a copy of that .dat file and in DOS command change the extension to .dbf. IF they're the same structure, you might be able to open and convert it to Access.

ANother way, if you know VB 6, you can use the ADO connection and choose a PARADOX driver to connect to it.

ANother way is to use FIlesystem object to open the file as text and export it to MS Access using Parsing technique to extract fields specifics and save them to the Access fields. MOst of those dbf or dat files, the fields are tab-delimited or comma delimited so it's easy to extract and export to specific fields in another format.