Unanswered: Replication and SHOW command

We have replication set up for our production database; one master and one slave. I have noticed that we are getting a lot of SHOW queries, specifically SHOW COLLATION and SHOW VARIABLES. I could see how the slave might need this information and could be polling the master but it just doesn't seem right to me. We will get up to 30 of these queries a second and then none for a while. There is no constant frequency. Any ideas? Could it be the slave?

-Paco

What program are you using for administration? I fee like those calls may be made by the administration app to update the GUI??? That also may explain why it is "sporadic."

I don't think a master/slave setup would be calling those.
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...ation-sql.html

Thanks for the help. Actually, I figured it out. I'm using MySQL Administrator and that explained the calls for SHOW STATUS and SHOW INNODB STATUS. However, the other calls are because of JDBC. Every time a Java based client connects to the database the following calls are executed:

Query SET NAMES latin1
    Query SET character_set_results = NULL
    Query SHOW VARIABLES
    Query SHOW COLLATION
    Query SET autocommit=1

I guess its not a big deal but is it really necessary? Can we specify the default conditions for the JDBC so these calls aren't necessary?

Thanks,
    Paco