Unanswered: execute multiple SQL queries

Hi -

I am using Access 2000, and I have multiple update statements to execute. I have only executed single queries before. Is there a way of doing this??

Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

Provided Answers: 1
    What method do you use to execute single queries?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I have just modified the SQL behind the Query Builder by going to View...SQL View

Provided Answers: 1
    How do you EXECUTE the query, not write it...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by ebostwick
    I am using Access 2000, and I have multiple update statements to execute. I have only executed single queries before. Is there a way of doing this??
    If you mean you want to execute a series of independant queries then write a macro (they are dead easy to create) and list the queries as seperate lines in the macro. They will then get executed one by one.
    hth
    Chris

not a constructive comment i'm afraid:

async update queries are a fun way to trash a database.

?? is your schema is the way it should be - it is relatively unusual for a single user action to cause updates to multiple tables (at least it is unusual the way i write stuff!)

if you really do have an event that needs to trigger multiple updates, issue a series of atomic updates and let each complete before the next starts - much safer than letting the engine sort out the execution order itself. a line of code is not that expensive!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    not a constructive comment i'm afraid:
    Which comment ?

Izy,

async update queries are a fun way to trash a database.
    Sure, but who mentioned async queries ?

?? is your schema is the way it should be - it is relatively unusual for a single user action to cause updates to multiple tables (at least it is unusual the way i write stuff!)
    How about Data Warehouse updates - calulated the different time periods after the latest data has been added

How about temporary tables created in order to run reports (I know this isn't the case in the perfect world but we're talking about access - complicted queries like cross-tabs can get alfully slow to manage in one chunk).

Serial queries are fine for the above. If they fail, just run them again from the start.

if you really do have an event that needs to trigger multiple updates, issue a series of atomic updates and let each complete before the next starts - much safer than letting the engine sort out the execution order itself. a line of code is not that expensive!
    I agree this is a specific case. e.g. moving funds from one account to another - both the credit and debit must either happen or not happen (I use the example so that other readers understand the distinction of atomic updates).

I guess the point is we're both making assumptions about the type of update Elizabeth is performing although I suspect you are nearer the mark. I agree atomic updates are necessary in certain instances but for others serial queries via macros or code are sufficient.

Chris