Unanswered: Sql1096n This Command Not Valid For Node Type

we have a server that is db2 udb 7.1 and db2 connect 7.1. I installed db2 connect 8.1 on this machine and i am getting SQL1096N The command is not valid for this node type. this happens when i attempt to access a local base.

what is causing this?? I have re-cataloged the node.

DB2 only supports clients which are at the same or lower release level than database server.

However, some functions may work with a higher client release level. But I would recommend that you upgrade your server to the latest 7.2 fixpack level, which was released after the first release of version 8.1.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I was afraid of that, thanks for your help

Well,

DB2 Connect V8 works fine with DB2 z/OS Version 7 and higher.

I am afraid you are mixing things here.

You cannot run DB2 Connect V8 and DB2 UDB V7 on one Server (Linux, Unix or Windows)
    Multi-Level Support was only introduced with DB2 UDB for Linux and Unix Version 8.

Is it possible that you where attached to a Connect Instance but trying to run commands against a local DB2 database ?

Make sure your environment is clean set up.
    Juliane

I am running DB2 v 7.1 server and db2 connect 8.1 on the same machine (vmware server) all connects to the mainframe are good but i cannot access the local bases on the vmware server( it is a warehouse setup). i am thinking i should install the 8.1 server??

Quote Originally Posted by juliane26
    Well,

DB2 Connect V8 works fine with DB2 z/OS Version 7 and higher.
    That is pretty much irrelevant since the version numbers of DB2 for LUW and DB2 for z/OS don't really correspond. I was assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the OP was using DB2 Connect to a DB2 for LUW server.
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by ricka49
    I am running DB2 v 7.1 server and db2 connect 8.1 on the same machine (vmware server) all connects to the mainframe are good but i cannot access the local bases on the vmware server( it is a warehouse setup). i am thinking i should install the 8.1 server??
    Yes. Upgrade your V7 instance to V8.
    Or stick with V7 connect. But don't mix, it is not supported and especially with administrative commands the mixture does not work, since there where changes in the system catalog.

BTW, you get the SQL error executing which statement ?
    Juliane

here is where i am at now.

help says db2 connect is v8.1.0.36 build 021023
    db2level says server is v8.1.0.36 s21023 fixpak "0"

both on the same machine and still getting the same error. i get it trying to open an existing base or create a new base. (local bases only).

I forgot to mention that the connect and server are Personal Edition. could this be the problem??

I thought that Personal Edition did not allow remote connections. But not 100% sure.
    M. A. Feldman

it is working fine with connections to Z/OS. but i am having problems on the warehouse bases on the same server. I have this on my own pc and all apps can get to Z/OS.

It is DB2 Connect Personal Edition version 8.1 for Windows operating systems
    cd part no. c23uuna

If you are trying to connect to z/OS from Personal Edition, you are only using the client code on Personal Edition, not the server code.

I believe that DB2 Personal Edition database does not allow incoming connections from clients on other machines, but I could be mistaken.
    M. A. Feldman

correct, I am going to install db2 udb 8.1 ese w/fp3 to see if it will fix the warehouse problems. can you tell me, if i have fp3 on can i jump to fp10?? isn't sp3 the minimum prereq??

You can go straight from 8.1 base code (or with any fixpack) to FP10.
    M. A. Feldman