Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4

    Unanswered: Busted Database Header

    I have a database using mfoxprun which has a busted header. I haven't touched the application in some ten years and I don't remember how to recover the header. Does anyone remember the instructions to recover it? I need to convert the file for input into a new application. I can read other files in Paradox and convert them but not the two files with the busted header. Both files are still in use in the current application but the busted header screws up some of the reports.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    178
    Try to export it to sdf file or tab-delimited file (if you still remember that) then fix it and import it to MS Access. From MS Access you can pretty much export it to any database format. Before you do that backup first.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4
    Don't really follow you on the sdf thing. I do use MS Access and Paradox and dBase but I can't read the file in any of those.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    178
    In the days of AstonTate dos dbase and dos foxpro, there's a routine that I use to export data to a text format where I can edit the content freely. I have to find my previous source code done in the past. If my memory serves right it goes "Copy to Newfile sdf". I'll get back to you if I find something in my file. sdf means "Standard Data Format" the meaning is different now in modern computer lingu.
    Last edited by fredservillon; 12-08-05 at 16:02.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4
    But if I remember correctly, there was an instruction when you were in dBase that automatically looked at the file and re-established a valid header. I just can't find out what that instruction was. I think it had something to do with looking at some other file and building a correct header. It is interesting that the application still indexes correctly and the application still works. Again the only problem is that I can't read the file in Paradox which means I can't convert the data for use in a new application. The bad header has the effect of doubling up the report print lines even though the report is correct.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    178
    This weekend, I'll go in my garage where I put away my dos foxpro books and document. I'll get back with you if I find something related. Believe it or not I still have one application I developed in 1995 written in DOS foxpro still being used in the hospital in RI.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4
    That is interesting. The application I'm working on was written in 1992 for pawnshop loan processing. The owner just could not get along with the programmer who went out-of-business in 1995. The only reason I have been able to maintain the application is that I use Paradox.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •