Unanswered: Help with emailing tables

I hope I can explain this clearly. I'd be really grateful if anyone could help.

I need to set up some sort of contacts database at work.

I need (I think, after having a little think about it) one table, filled with people, (their names, contact details ect) and basically various queries to pull up people in certain groups. Say for instance, people who attend meeting a, b, c, (in a simplised, condensed version of the truth)

I did think about doing this with various tables actually. A contacts table, a meetings table, blah blah, but anyway. (Any advice on this incidentally would be great).

My main problem though. We often have to email all the people who attend say meeting a. We have contacts on our email systems, but they're different from person to person, and as the company is updating email systems, we can't even send contacts lists to everyone, as they're not compatible.

What I'd love is to be able to call up a list of people attending meeting a from my database and email each of those people (their contact details would include email address of course)

Does that make sense?

Is there any way of doing this?

I'd be really happy if anyone knew...

Hi webgirly - welcome to the forum.

Yes - you defo want to consider multiple tables especially given what you have described. Here is a rather in depth article to help you plan your db. It might seem a lot to do intiially but I can promise you from experience that some time and planning in the early stages will save you ten times the time later in the project.

Also - check out the DoCmd.SendObject method in VB help for the email requirement. You can use this as a macro too but I wouldn't be able to help you with that - I only do code
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Ah that's great, thanks very much.

I had a bit more of a think and started to lean towards the multiple tables method... yeah, it does make sense huh?

Where do I find that help?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by webgirly
    Where do I find that help?
    Help #1 was a link to a webpage ( Here is a rather in depth article to help you plan your db)
    Help #2 is in Access. Open Access, press Ctrl+G to launch the Visual Basic Environment and then click on Help

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thanks again!

I took your advice and created multiple tables... had some trouble with some many to many relationships, but I sorted them out.. (I think... I got a little tangled remembering which fields to link and how).

the thing I've realised, is that I'm so far from email merging it was daft to even ask about it, except so that I'd know it was at least possible before I started building.

I have 3 tables. One for contact info, one for groups and a junction table between those to solve the many to many problem.

There is a whole lot more I want to branch into, like diaries, meeting location addresses, that sort of thing, but I've realised that as far as actually making this work in a form is concerned, I haven't the foggiest.

I want to open a form to enter contact details, and be able to pick from the list of groups which groups that contact is a member of. so far I can only manage a drop down list, but I will need multiple choices for some. This also meaning that when I open a form to view all contacts, it will display what groups they belong to.

In some cases, being in a certain group with mean attending certain meetings, but I am planning on just making that a note with the entry. (at this point)

What I would also like is to be able to call up groups and see a list of all the contacts in that group. (also this is where the email merge comes in, as I would like to be able to email all the names that are brought up, and also mail merge letters etc).

I get the feeling I need some queries going on, but I just don't know how, and how to set out my forms either.

Is there some sort of tutorial somewhere as I can't find one... or is there a glaringly obvious solution I just can't see?

(please forgive my annoying lack of knowledge, )