Unanswered: Mainframer Starting With UDB; General Advice

Greetings, Everybody!

I am a mainframe systems programmer who supports DB2 on z/OS. I'm just beginning to become familiar with UDB on Unix, and I came here to find the stickies in this forum. I'm going through those now, but I thought also that it would be a good idea to start this thread to ask a few questions regarding my own situation, so as to help me stay better focused in my search for information and learning materials.

I've got a lot of experience with MVS-type operating systems, and I'm familiar with product installations, systems type things, JCL, ISPF, and much more.

I'm familiar with IBM's SMP/E installation methodology, with QMF, the DB2 utilities on the host, and monitoring packages such as Mainview, TMon, CA-Insight, and so forth.

I'm being tasked with supporting a production UDB environment running on OS 5.8 (I think). I believe our production UDB is 8.1, but our development/test machines are all on 7.1 (sounds odd, I know, but as I understand it, the production environment was put up "brand new" halfway into the project).

We already have some very sharp people doing the DBA/"Data Design" and development tasks.

So here are my major goals:

--> I need to get up to speed on Unix. Enough to be able to navigate and get things done, like I can in z/OS and TSO/ISPF. I need to be able to install and maintain UDB and related software. Preferrably without breaking something else!

--> I need to get up to speed on UDB. I need to be able to provide support to the DBA/DA and developers, and I need to be able to research, diagnose, and hunt down problems, properly interface with the IBM Support Center so that I can report defects, apply maintenance to UDB, and act as a liason between our developers and IBM; pretty much what I already do as a systems programmer.

My Questions:

As I said at the outset, I will be reviewing the "stickies" in this forum for advice and direction. But anything you folks can think of...anything that I might make special note of...well, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

1) What would you recommend for me to come up to speed on Unix?

I have a couple of "Teach Yourself ~ in 24 hours" books, one for Unix, and one for Linux. I also have a couple of O'Reilly books, one of which is the latest edition of "Unix in a Nutshell", but that's just a reference guide. I really need to get my feet wet before I'll be able to put that book to good use.

2) I understand that I could put up a Linux box for myself and install the personal edition of UDB, pretty cheaply; just for my own sandbox environment. Do you think this would be a good idea? If not, what would you suggest?

3) If so, is there any one or two "preferred" Linux builds that might be advisable for somebody like me who's just learning this stuff?

4) Can you recommend any written texts on UDB?

I already have access to the DB2 UDB manuals from IBM's online sites. IBM's manuals have gotten better in recent years, but mostly they're for reference, not really for "learning-as-you-go". Additional texts (beyond the product manuals) have often been helpful to me in the past, so I'm looking for something that will help me get up to speed quicker. In addition to the IBM manuals, I've seen some certification textbooks and study guides, as well as other respectable-looking materials.

Additionally, I found the "A colorful introduction to DB2 UDB" link on IBM's site. I think that one popped up in a Google search. It looks very interesting, so I'm working my way through that.

That's about it for my questions for right now. I'm sure I will find more info in the stickies and in the other resources I already have. But any advice that you may have for me in the meantime might help me get up to speed more quickly and less painfully.

Thanks in advance!

If you have OS 5.8, you probably are running SUN Solaris OS. It is not much different than other UNIX's but you may want a book that focuses on SUN. Ask your SA for advice.

DB2 version 7x is no longer supported. For Version 8, get on FP 10 as soon as feasible. FP11 is due in January and is expected to be very stable (no enhancements, just fixes).

Just about everything is different on a DBA level between DB2 z/OS and LUW. You have a long road ahead of you. Good Luck.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Welcome to the world of DB2 LUW!!!!

There are many more here in this forum who have DB2 mainframe background, so finding answers in this forum is not that difficult ..

Start your adventure(!!) into DB2 LUW here : http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/...ves/006198.asp .. Click 'Next Entry' to read more articles ... There are about 8-9 of them ..
    Other useful resources :
    1) http://www.quest.com/landing/default.aspx?Id=49

2) http://www.db2mag.com/showArticle.jh...cleID=17602319
    http://www.db2mag.com/showArticle.jh...cleID=18901293

3) Part 1
    http://www.gseukdb2.org.uk/downloads/0506luwsmart.zip

Regarding improving your Unix skills, as you have said, Linux will be a good option .. I have RH8 on a desktop at home with DB2 v8 installed ... Read a 'Unix Fundamentals' book and get started ... Do not get too much into details of Unix ... You can manage with DB2 without indepth knowledge of Unix ... Of course, you should be picking Unix in the longer run ...

Db2 pe on linux at home is definitely a good idea.

DB2 Complete Reference is a good book ... It covers the important topics quiet well ..

Developer Domain also has a DBA zone which will be of interest to you ..
    Phil Gunning's "DB2: Universal Database Handbook for Windows and Unix Linux " is also very good ..

For Troubleshooting, don't miss the 'Problem Determinataion Tutorial' series ...

HTH

Sathyaram

Wow, thank you for the warm welcomes, and especially for the link and book suggestions!

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I'm sure I'll have questions along the way, but that's good.

Thanks again!

Hi,
    I went the other direction the last 6 month (LUW to z/OS)

to learn UDB I had always a Windows Sandbox with DB2 to play with - usually sufficient because really the commands are the same and reference and stuff.

It is different for scripting (shell being different from .bat in Windows) - so for that Linux probably comes in handy if you have no SUN to play with. Again - for Syntax allone I use Cygwin and usually that is ok to function test. Tools like Putty do a good job accessing remote servers.
    There are ISPF editors for Windows available ... :-) ... But probably a VI quick reference is a good thing to have since VI comes built-in everywhere.

I guess you will catch up basic concepts fast (Instance and databases, schemata 'just' being names vs. Subsystem and databases/schema)

Administration: I found many things and options are actually rather similar but called differently - some are available on the host for ages but new on LUW, others are there on LUW but not on the host. Some are called the same but behave a little different.

For SQL: I am sure you met allready the SQL Cookbook in the Stickies - best for UDB LUW.
    But be aware: the host lacks behind and not everything is available cross platforms.

For programming: Actually the methods like JDBC or SQLJ do not differ, batch programming I see not used often on LUW, but stored procedures can come in handy in 3-tier applications.

Very useful for quick reference, but the books don't tell you straight:
    db2 ? sql0911 (sqlcode)
    db2 ? 40001 (sqlstate)
    -> quick reference on on codes and messages
    db2 ? get snapshot
    -> quick reference on many commands (unfortunately not complete)

Well,

last but not least: Ask questions here, also happy to learn ...
    Juliane