Unanswered: Boost SQL Server priority on windows 2003

Hi,

I've noticed declining performance on our main accounting server. We have a Windows 2003 server running SQL 2000 Enterprise and 8 GBs of RAM.

Has anyone used the "boost SQL Server priority on windows" before? If so, were there any major benefits in using it?

This server is excusively used for SQL btw...

Thanks,
    DJ

I run all of my servers with this option. Check the SQL BOL for Priority Boost Option. Just be sure it is a dedicated SQL server and that it is running SMP (ie, multiple processors).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks hmscott. I'll try it out tonight. Hope it works. I'm also going to put the tempdb on a totally different RAID (1 or 10) controlled drive on that server. Apparently that helps as well.

On re-reading your post, I noted that you started by saying you've seen declining performance on your server. Don't expect priority boost to fix this for you. You probably have other issues in the underlying database. Priority boost just increases the thread priority for the SQLSERVR process (from 7 to 13). That won't yield major performance enhancements on a box that is already dedicated to SQL.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?