Unanswered: Update a field automatically

Hi All,
    I have 2 tables: SalesOrder , ProductionOrder
    They both have the same Primary Key : order_num
    I have a form for entering data in to the: SalesOrder table.

When I enter an order number in to the form I want the order number to copy in to the ProductionOrder table.

The reason I want to do the above is so you dont have to type the order in to the sales order table and then again in to the production order table.

Whats the best way to achieve what I want to do?

Thanks

You seem to be implying that when you create a sales order record you always want to create exactly one corresponding production order record. If the relationship is one-to-one, why not store all fields for sales order and production order in a single table (much easier to manage). You can then manage who sees what fields through seperate forms.

If you really want to do it with seperate tables (the harder way) then you will need an "after update" event to create the new record e.g. by running a query that creates new records for all records in sales order that don't have a corresponding record in production order.

Whilst creating an after update is in itself is straight forward, consider how you will manage someone cancelling an order or maybe editing it. How will you continually keep the corresponding production records in sync. Hence maybe better to use one table.

hth
    Chris

See your point but unfortunately I wrote this application a few years ago and since then it has grown to rely on the 2 tables. I simplified my origional post when indeed it goes a lot further. Basically, we have 1 form that the user has allways entered the order number twice, sales, production. I want to save them some work!

Provided Answers: 59
    The table design sounds flaky to me, but thats your choice:-
    suggest you place some code in the forms after update event which copies the required information to the production table

you may be able to do this via a docmd.execute, byut personally I'd use a ADO recrodset.

Could you suggest an example?

Provided Answers: 59
    yes - try the help file

Great, Thanks for the advise!