Unanswered: Voting Application!

Hi all,

Im creating a voting application at the mo.

I have a form on which the user enters "voterid" "candidateid" and "Electionyear".
    I have a numVotes section in tblCandidate but the max votes that i want is ten for each candidate.

Is there code to inform a voter that the quota has been reached when they press "cmdVote". i.e when the candidate has recieved ten votes.

Quote Originally Posted by kingston19
    Hi all,

Im creating a voting application at the mo.

I have a form on which the user enters "voterid" "candidateid" and "Electionyear".
    I have a numVotes section in tblCandidate but the max votes that i want is ten for each candidate.

Is there code to inform a voter that the quota has been reached when they press "cmdVote". i.e when the candidate has recieved ten votes.

why would you want to stop the voter placing a vote? Would ten votes not be the quota that a candidate could acheieve or exceed?

When a voter recieves ten votes he/she is elected.

as there are one vote per voter only 3 candidates and 20 voters.

Provided Answers: 1
    It is generally poor practice to store derived data. You can derive the number of votes for a given candidate by querying the table you store your votes in and grouping by candidate id...

That said, you can use DLookup() to return the value of any field from a table. Might look something like this:

DLookup("[numVotes]", "[tblCandidate]", "candidate_id = " & YourCandidateId)

with a little bit more flexible design, you would probably want to go with DCount:

DCount("[vote_id]", "[tblVotes]", "[cadidate_id] = " & YourCandidateId)
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***