Thread: SQL to write?

Unanswered: SQL to write?

Hey peeps, fishkake's back, and he's more clueless than ever!

OK, after a few days of wrestling with books and experimenting, I now know all about reading SQL. Well, what that means is I understand Select From Where etc etc.

How do I write data? I have a reference guide, if somebody could give me literally a few high-level commands that are to do with writing data in a similar way to reading it with the SELECT statement, it would be very helpful...

This site is just making me lazy now...

Provided Answers: 6
    what book have you been reading that did not cover APPLY and REMOVE commands in the first chapter. How's school? Like you professor?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 6
    ok I can not do it. Go to SQL Server Books Online --> Contents --> Transact SQL Reference and read about UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE. In fact read everything in Transact SQL Reference and when you are done with that read all of the BOL.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

fishcake, you're probably thinking of the CHANGE command

just like SELECT is for seleting data from a database table, CHANGE is used to change data in a database table

CHANGE tbl_employees_table TABLE, BY GIVING each col_employee_column COLUMN 10% RAISE
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Thanks a lot guys, thats all I needed!

The book I have is an oracle book, but its a PDF, and I'm in Friday mode, couldn't really be bothered to look through.

I'm not at school (if I was, I'd probably be a lot better at SQL!), I'm working. I know nothingn about SQL, and very little about VBScript, and for some reason they've given me a project to build an Access-based front end to a LIVE sql database. Hence the reason I'm in over my head!! I've managed to write about 10 lines of code today, I'm in that wonderful stage where everything you manage to do puts a huge smile on your face. Hey, when you spend three hours trying to get a message box to display a value from a table and then you do it, it feels pretty good!!

I'm a demon in Lotus Notes. I just hate proper databases!!

Don't bully the n00b...

Microsoft Access has really good wizards to help you build a query

there are Select queries, Append queries, Make-Table queries, Update queries, Crosstab queries...

i *heart* Microsoft Access
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Quote Originally Posted by fishkake
    I know nothingn about SQL, and very little about VBScript, and for some reason they've given me a project to build an Access-based front end to a LIVE sql database.
    Could you go and ask what that reason was? I'd really like to know.

Don't bully the n00b...
    Hey fishkake - we get a lot of schoolies posting their homework here (as in most forums). In some forums you get a very severe rap on the knuckles for helping them. Here things are more easy going but people try to avoid answering peoples homework. Sometimes it takes a bit of prodding with a blunt instrument to weed out the lazy student from the professional noobee though. I've seen your other posts - I know you have definitely not been given this project as homework - lol - but not everyone has. And your post did have a real "I would like the 101 on SQL please" ring to it.

Anyhoo - check out this post again in a couple of months time and you'll spot a few NZDFs (these too you will know in a few months).

GL
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 1
    ...for some reason they've given me a project to build an Access-based front end to a LIVE sql database.
    First question, of course, is whether you are using a standard MS Access database (.mdb extension), or and Access Data Project (.adp extension).
    ADP is what you want to go with.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Since you're learning everything from scratch, just go to www.asp.net and learn that. That's about as easy to develop in for a real "application" IMO.
    MeanOldDBA
    derrickleggett@hotmail.com
    When life gives you a lemon, fire the DBA.

Hello again...

I've been given the project because I expressed an interest in it, and to be honest I don't really object, as long as my company don't mind paying me to learn!

Sorry for the generic approach, I'll hopefully be able to be a bit more specific in future. I warned you that this site was making me lazy!!