Unanswered: Remote Opener fails after restart

I'm using Filemaker 7 Pro. I have an opener file that opens a shared database on the server and then closes itself. Whenever I restart one of the client machines, and run the opener file, it shows a blank screen like it's loading something, then just closes and leaves me with nothing. If I manually do a File->Open Remote and open the database it works. After that I can close Filemaker and try opening the opener fileand it works just fine. Once I restart though, I'm back to the same problem.

Any ideas? This is causing a real problem around the office since the users aren't savvy enough to go through a whole process just to open the file.

Thanks in advance,
    Noah

You don't state wether this is FM server or just a peer to peer.
    If p2p maybe the server isn't actively connected before the first action and is afterwards.

On a pc you may not be aware that the mapped drive isn't connected yet. On a mac you should see the icon.

HTH

This is P2P on FM 7 Pro. Do I need a mapped drive? Right now I use an opener file pointing to the server (fmnet:/192.168.1.2/Database) -- it seemed to me at first like a timeout issue... If I close FM on the clients and wait a long time, the opener file doesn't work and I have to manually File->Open Remote -- so I guess that's a "existing connection" issue of sorts; if the connection exists already it works otherwise it does not. Any way around this? Or maybe a greater timeout? Maybe just a better way of scripting it? I'm kind of new to FM...

Thanks,
    Noah

Sounds like we have the cause nailed down. As suspected the drive is dropping when it's inactive for a set amount of time. This sounds like a FMP p2p issue. No workarounds I am aware of, but a mapped drive might just do the trick in keeping the connection alive. Reply so I 'll know how that worked ,)

just a mapped drive? If I understand, I still use Filemaker the same way -- P2P -- the only reason for the mapped drive is to keep a connection?

Thanks,
    Noah