Red face Unanswered: validating txt box

Hi,

I have tried some code a few users have given me and none have worked. All I want to do is the following:

I have a text box on my access form. Well I want access to be able to be able to tell if the txt box contains text or is blank. If the text box is left blank, I want a message box to appear stating "Please enter text". If the text box has text, I just want to be able to go on to the next text box.

There has to be a way to do this.

I tried this code:

If text46 = "" then
    msgbox "Enter data"
    else
    cancel = true
    end if

This does not work. All it does is when I enter a value into text46, it will not let me go to the next text box. This is the complete opposite of what I want to happen. I want that to happen when the box is left blank. Please help I am about to give up

Provided Answers: 59
    did your users give you the context they used that fragment of VB as well

what are you intending to do with cancel. Normally I'd expect to see cancel set in this manner in a form or controls before update event.

You should check on the "OnFocus" and "LostFocus" events... or are these the right names for them? I don't remember but it's near to that.

Quote Originally Posted by benz84
    If text46 = "" then
    msgbox "Enter data"
    else
    cancel = true
    end if
    'Cancel = True' is in the 'else' branch, so something will be canceled when the textbox is NOT empty. Is that what you intend to do?

All I want to do is make someone enter data in the text box before they go on to the next. if the text box is left blank i want it to prompt them to enter info before proceeding.

Provided Answers: 59
    What event(s) is you code being called from?

ivons already identified a probable source of problems, but its difficult to assist if you don't tell the full story,

Talking

Benz,
    I agree, the "cancel=true" statement is what's giving you the bug. Try this:

Code:
    If text46 = "" then
    msgbox "Enter data"
    else
    endif
    This should do what you're wanting...while the textbox is blank, msgbox opens "enter data" other wise if there is text, end the if statement.

Hope that helps,

G~
    The older I get, the more new stuff I tend to forget, the stuff I don't use any more...now that I remember!

Mail Me