Thread: MAccess Problem

Question Unanswered: MAccess Problem

Hi ,,
    I have this problem if anyone can help me please?
    I have this databases called dec-wahab ehich has linked tables to another database called decdb,,
    My server name was isasvr and now I have changed the server and the new server’s name is dc
    (by the way the dec databases resides in this path \\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb)

Know whenever I want to open my database (dec-wahab) I get this error message
    (“\\isasvr\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb’ is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides)

I have changed all the linked tables so that it becomes \\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb
    But I still get this error message,,,when I want to open the decdb databases I get this error message
    ( ypu do not have the necessary permission to use the (“:\\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb’ object. Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you .

Any help please?

Quote Originally Posted by nawaray
    Hi ,,
    I have this problem if anyone can help me please?
    I have this databases called dec-wahab ehich has linked tables to another database called decdb,,
    My server name was isasvr and now I have changed the server and the new server’s name is dc
    (by the way the dec databases resides in this path \\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb)

Know whenever I want to open my database (dec-wahab) I get this error message
    (“\\isasvr\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb’ is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides)

I have changed all the linked tables so that it becomes \\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb
    But I still get this error message,,,when I want to open the decdb databases I get this error message
    ( ypu do not have the necessary permission to use the (“:\\dc\databases$\dec\decdb.mdb’ object. Have your system administrator or the person who created the object establish the appropriate permissions for you .

Any help please?
    That's what it saying, you need the server adminitrator to give you permission in that directory.
    IF you cannot browse on that server directory where your database is then you don't have permission.
    try this..
    from you desktop click Start - RUn and on the text field type \\dc then OK
    if you can get in there try \\dc\database\ then click OK. GOto the next level down to your database and see where you are not allowed. Contact the server admin to give you permission, if you cant reach your database.

i can access all this paths you said but when i reach the database itself i try to open it i get this error message

by the way i am the administrator for this database

I hope you have MS Access in your new server? Is that right?

yes there is

Provided Answers: 59
    so just to confirm you have adequate network rights to the folder (ie read / write permissions / create) - if so are they limited to the directory and / or specific files. you (and anyone using the app must have create permission to create the lock file, and you must have read / write permission on top.

so if it ain't that lets assume its an Access problem
    is the problem reported from all PC's or just one

can you open access itself?, do you open Access and then the file, or do you open a the file via a desktop shortcut. if the latter is it possible that the desktop is pointiugn to a different workgroup file.

it sounds like someone has altered the privileges to one or more of the tables and your current privileges are not sufficient.

what Access UserID are you connecting to the db. 'd then check what permissions that access userid has to the db objects

Quote Originally Posted by nawaray
    yes there is
    If you copied your database (mdb) file to your local drive computer, can you still open it?