Thread: Planning flaw

Exclamation Unanswered: Planning flaw

I just thought about something that I missed in my planning stage.

I have 4 departments that cover over 56 sites, some of the departments will use the database without it being networked at the time they enter data, I will need to reconcile the data after their shift, does anyone know an easy way to make this happen.

Thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    replication may be a solution,
    you could consider a local flag, which is cleared when you do your central update, could be done using a series of SQL queries

eg
    query one identify which records have got data changes and exist in the master db, update those records in the master db
    query two identify which records have got data changes and don't exist in the master db, insert these records into the master db
    query three delete those records in the local db(s) which are no longer valid
    query four clear the edit / posting flag
    ..for each table that exists

and alternative to the flag is to have a timestamp, so that if the worst comes to the worst you can easily identify what data was posted and when. A further evolution is to export the data to a series of CSV files, and then import them at the other end - sounds complicated but it does then mean that you have decoupled the child & master systems. IE you don't have to have all child db's active when you do your update to the central data store, you have an intermediate datastore which can be archived so that you know what happened when.

the problem with bulk queries run in batch is getting usefull infroamtion so that you know what has actually happened - you may regrad that as irreleveant, if you have proved your design but I hate to rely on that design paradigm as its easy for users to forget what si shappening, and a monor change in item x can cause major problems downt he line and the probelsm may not get notified untill many months after the user first noticed something wasn't working.

Provided Answers: 1
    Are you sure Access is the right choice for something so widely distributed?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Exclamation Any Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Are you sure Access is the right choice for something so widely distributed?

The Program will be ran in 2 citys that are next to each other and will only have 4 people entering the data. The Main problem is the data will need to be entered into a remote database (duplicate of the Orignal or CSV sheets) and then transmitted into the Master DB once they return to the main office

If you have a suggestion on a better program, I am willing to consider other platforms.

The main reason for MS Access is I know alot about it, but not enough, where as other platforms I am still learning like PHP and MySQL

I don't wish to go into to many details on the database use online, if you IM me on Yahoo (matthewsp2k) I can discuss the details with you.

Thanks
    Last edited by saileast; 12-13-05 at 15:03.

MSAccess

We use Citrix to link to our Access applications which does work very well. I've worked with replication and although it is an alternative, I wouldn't recommend it (I don't like dealing with autonumbers like -2343322122 and the synchrinezation).
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 1
    Depends on price and architecture available. In an ideal world, you would have replication subscriptions set up between multiple instances of sql server. Few of us live in an ideal world. The PHP/MySQL thing is another option. If you have a solid intranet, it's not too much hassle to upload an xml file and dump it into a central MySQL database. Access gets a little stranger when synchronizing. it can be done, but it requires a bit more manual intevention then I generally care for.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

more information

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    We use Citrix to link to our Access applications which does work very well. I've worked with replication and although it is an alternative, I wouldn't recommend it (I don't like dealing with autonumbers like -2343322122 and the synchrinezation).
    Do you have a link or more information on this product or others

__

Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working...

Budget and Architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Depends on price and architecture available. In an ideal world, you would have replication subscriptions set up between multiple instances of sql server. Few of us live in an ideal world. The PHP/MySQL thing is another option. If you have a solid intranet, it's not too much hassle to upload an xml file and dump it into a central MySQL database. Access gets a little stranger when synchronizing. it can be done, but it requires a bit more manual intevention then I generally care for.
    We will be using windows based laptops and some areas will have wireless networks we can untilize, the main office has a strong intranet, and internet access. The Main Database will be a on a desktop running windows 2000, or windows xp pro. We will also be running Access 2k and 2k3, (unless we go with another platform) The budget well is pretty much $0.00, however most of the software I already have or can get.
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...

How about creating a primary with the record ID and a remote office code, so you may have different records for each one, with a date/time field for updates so you can synchronize them?

Citrix

Besides Citrix, you can also set up Remote Desktop Connection. We also use that and it works very well without any investment.

Here's a link on Citrix (but you will have to pay for licenses for each connection.)

http://www.citrix.com/lang/English/home.asp
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Replica of Original

I believe I am going to go with the replica feature, I have been looking at it for the last couple of days and it seems to be the best option, and I can make 5 replicas and a master db and it will all work just fine, provided I sync the db once the sites are in a network area.

thanks for the info, if you have any more I am game for it.
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...