Unanswered: How to refer DAO.recordset using DoCmd.RunSQL

How to refer DAO.recordset using DoCmd.RunSQL ???

I want to create a table in local .mdb with processed external date connected using DAO as below.
    The RunSQL cannot found rsTmp ???
    Please help.

'=========================

Function createNewTableFromExt()
    Dim dbExternal As DAO.Database
    Dim rsTmp As DAO.Recordset
    Dim qdfTmp As QueryDef

Set dbExternal = OpenDatabase("c:\temp\access\Northwind.mdb")

Set qdfTmp = dbExternal.CreateQueryDef("", "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE (((Employees.EmployeeID)>5))")
    Set rsTmp = qdfTmp.OpenRecordset(dbOpenSnapshot)

' rsTmp.MoveLast: MsgBox rsTmp.RecordCount 'use for debug make sure rsTmp exist

' It work if "Employees" is a local table
    ' dbExternal.Execute "SELECT EmployeeID, LastName, FirstName, Title INTO NewTable FROM Employees WHERE (((EmployeeID)>5))"

' Cannot found rsTmp
    dbExternal.Execute "SELECT EmployeeID, LastName, FirstName, Title INTO NewTable FROM rsTmp WHERE (((EmployeeID)>5))"

End Function

Hi marlai

You can't use a recordset like that - it is a cursor and as such can anly be accessed row by row rather than as a set (like a table or query).
    Depending on how you want to use the data, you may not need to create a table.

However - two alternatives come to mind to populate the table
    1) Loop through the reocrdset record by record and run an insert statement each pass.
    2) Create a heterogenious (spelling???) query e.g.:
    Code:
     Currentdb.Execute "SELECT * INTO NewTable
    FROM Employees IN 'c:\temp\access\Northwind.mdb'"
    HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Thank you for advice.
    1. I do not want to use loop through, may be it take long time to process.
    2. I cannot direct copy from external because I need to process the data using Recordset, then copy them to table.
    3. I know ===Set qdfTmp = dbExternal.CreateQueryDef("NewQuery", "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE (((Employees.EmployeeID)>5))")=== can create "NewQuery" into access and can refer it using asses command. Any similar command like this can create table?

Best Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by marlai
    Thank you for advice.
    1. I do not want to use loop through, may be it take long time to process.
    2. I cannot direct copy from external because I need to process the data using Recordset, then copy them to table.
    3. I know ===Set qdfTmp = dbExternal.CreateQueryDef("NewQuery", "SELECT * FROM Employees WHERE (((Employees.EmployeeID)>5))")=== can create "NewQuery" into access and can refer it using asses command. Any similar command like this can create table?

Best Regards.
    Hi
    1) Agreed - unless it is a very small amount of data you bet you don't want to.
    2) Why do you need to use a recordset? If you really insist on using one then run the heterogeneous query. Then open a recordset on the new table. Open the recordset for editing and then commit the edits back to the table. Having said that I would (not knowing your precise requirements) probably prefer to do whatever data cleaning you need to do with SQL (i.e. set based) rather than with a cursor (row based).
    3) You can do this in two ways. My preferred method is SQL (however you can get unstuck with some data types). e.g.
    Code:
     dbExternal.Execute "CREATE TABLE TableDDL (MyCol Text(25))"
    Otherwise you can instantiate a NEW TableDef object, set its properties and add fields to it. Once created append to the tabledefs collection. Check out Help for more info

HTH
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.