Unanswered: Setting log_archive_dest_2 to remote machine

Hi,
    I am trying to set log_archive_dest_2 to a remote server and am having difficulty.

I shared the directory on the remote server and then mapped a drive to the remote server. After that I set
    log_archive_dest_2 = LOCATION="Z:\archive_logs\"' in the init.ora file and tried to restart.
    I get the following...

ORA-16032: parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2 destination string cannot be translated
    ORA-09291: sksachk: invalid device specified for archive destination
    OSD-04018: Unable to access the specified directory or device.
    O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

And below is what I found in the ORACLE Documentation.. So, why am I getting this error even if I set log_archive_dest_2 to a mapped drive?

Note that the location of archive log files cannot be specified using UNC. If you set the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter to a UNC specification, the database does not start and you receive the following errors:

ORA-00256: error occurred in translating archive text string '\meldell\rmdrive'
    ORA-09291: sksachk: invalid device specified for archive destination
    OSD-04018: Unable to access the specified directory or device
    O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified

Ensure that you set the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter to a mapped drive.

Thanks

The database acts runs as a service on a windows machine. Any mapping you make (Z will not be seen by the oracle process. Try using a UNC path. The remote server and mount point MUST auto logon.

\\server\archive_logs\
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

But the Oracle documentation is very specific about using UNC with archive logs. Below is the extact from Oracle doc.

Note that the location of archive log files cannot be specified using UNC. If you set the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter to a UNC specification, the database does not start and you receive the following errors:

Ensure that you set the LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n initialization parameter to a mapped drive.

What version of the Oracle database are you using? In order to use UNC paths with the server, or to use network drives which are locally mapped, you must run the server (OracleServiceSID) as an authenticated user. This user account should have DBA privileges. The local SYSTEM user is not authenticated
    and can't access network drives or services.
    Last edited by beilstwh; 12-13-05 at 09:32.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.