Unanswered: Possible To Tell Who Deleted Records In My SQL Table?

Hello All.

Is there a way to check who has deleted records from my SQL tables? I asked because I notice records keep disappearing from my tables recently for no reason. The DB is only accessible by a few IT staff. Business users have no direct access to it so they can't do any harm and there is no application that update these record missing tables.

I don't need to know the exact records that have been removed. I need info on who has made a deletion activity on which table, date and time is good enough.

Thank you.

Best regards

Provided Answers: 11
    Quietly run a trace to capture anything with textdata like %delete%. If you don't get anything there, "they" may be using a stored procedure. You would have to trace all activity at that point.

Why not place a trigger on the table?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Ran into the same issue a while back. We found that the process of deleting was actually in an ADP file deleting based upon a connection to a EXCEL file.

The process was requested to delete records based upon dates.

The process did what was asked the problem was that the numeric date in EXCEL and ACCESS and SQL server are all different. Where relieved to find that it wasn't malicious.

This will not help you find a userid deleting records but may help you determine a cause.

Hello All.

Thank you for your advises. If this person is using query analyzer to delete the records from a remote connection, will the trace be able to detect it? I have discovered 35 records missing from my table this morning.

Best regards

Provided Answers: 11
    Always has for me.