Unanswered: Linking MS Access to MS Word

I have set up a query where I have a list of registerd and unregistered voters for my application. I have also created a mail merge using Microsoft Word in order to advise people whether they are registered or not.
    However i am unable to create a link through my Access Application to open up the specific document that is using the mail merge.

Any Ideas??

Provided Answers: 19
    Here's a thread from another forum that may help:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1160634&page=2
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thanks for the link, but that wasnt exactly what i needed. Maybe I didnt explain myself properly earlier.... The application is based on a voting system. As an administrator I will be able to see who is registered and not registered. If i wanted to advise people who are not registered say to register or inform of an upcoming election, i would click on either a link or command button. I tried using macro's with the "RunApp" property with the command line reading the location to open MS Word and then open the document. This still will not open the document properly...

Waiting for a saviour.......

Provided Answers: 1
    I'm still confused. Why do you need to open your MS Word doc, based on information in Access, FROM inside Access? Isn't that what reports are for?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Sorry about the confusion. Basically if the administrator needs to tell a person that they are not registered, he will be able to click on a link/command button. This will then open up a word document that was formatted to include data from the database using mail merge. The administrator will be able to print this word document off and post it to the person who is not registered. All I need to know is how to create the link or cmd btn to open up the word document.

Provided Answers: 1
    followhyperlink?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

I have some code that may help you with this. Problem is it uses the CommonDialog control, and depending on your version of Access it may not allow you to add the CommonDialog control onto your form (something to do with the licenses).

If you can get the CommonDialog control on your form, then I will post the code, if not then I think you may have to do the MailMerge using vba if you really want to get it to work through Access.

Quote Originally Posted by Harius
    Sorry about the confusion. Basically if the administrator needs to tell a person that they are not registered, he will be able to click on a link/command button. This will then open up a word document that was formatted to include data from the database using mail merge. The administrator will be able to print this word document off and post it to the person who is not registered. All I need to know is how to create the link or cmd btn to open up the word document.
    Check OLE class Properties in MSACCESS help to link MS WOrd

Word link

Hi Harius. When I do Word linking to MSAccess this is what I do (hope it helps):
    1. Do a make-table in MSAccess in which the Word document links to. Problem is that if that Word document is open by someone, other's will not be able to get into it or make the table in MSAccess.
    2. Issue a Shell command to the Word document (i.e: Call Shell(\\mylocation\XXX.doc,1)

You could also try using the hyperlink but I don't have an example of that offhand.

Hope this helps.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)