Unanswered: Syntax Error in SQL query can figure out what it is. please help

i have a query when i run it it sys "You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'SELECT customerID, count(adID) AS noOfAds FROM a"

my query is
    SELECT c.customerID, c.firstName, c.Email, c.membershipType, a.noOfAds FROM customerInfo c, (SELECT customerID, count(adID) AS noOfAds FROM adInfo Group BY customerID) a WHERE c.customerID = a.customerID ORDER BY firstName ASC

Please identify me whats wrong

What im trying to do is get customer info which is in table customerInfo and count the number of ads against that customer from adInfo table.

SELECT c.customerID, c.firstName, c.Email, c.membershipType, (SELECT count(adID) AS noOfAds FROM adInfo a WHERE c.customerID = a.customerID )
    FROM customerInfo c
    ORDER BY c.firstName ASC

i think the problem is with the version. im using mysql 4.013. Isnt there any other way i can do this. i can not use two different queries because im also sorting data at the fronend.