Thread: DB2 Connect

Question Unanswered: DB2 Connect

Hi everyone,

I am a new user for DB2 database. I am experienced on Oracle and SQL Srv as a DBA. The DB2 is on OS400. There is a tool for client connectivity which also has SQL editor, but it is very poor. Now I have got DB2 connect program. I have installed it on my win-desktop. Now I want to connect to the DB2 on OS400. But when I try to make a connection on OS400, it gives me error text as "10061", "*", "*". SQLSTATE=08001 and says a problem on SOCKS.
    Can you pls give me a hint for sucessfull connection to DB2?
    Thanks in advance...

db2 connect

if you installed db2 client (?) on your machine you have to catalog the target db
    open a command window (start - run - db2cmd)
    db2 catalog tcpip node nnn remote xxxx server yyy
    where nnn is any name of your choice
    xxx = ip/address of hostname of database server (that you can ping)
    yyy = port on which db2/400 is listening (I believe for as/400 the default is 437, but check with sysadmin on as/400)
    db2 catalog db ddd at node nnn
    where ddd is the database name of as400 and nnn is the same name you specified with the first command
    now you should be able to connect
    db2 connect to ddd user uuuu
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    DB2/ORA/SQL Services
    DB2 DBA & Advanced DBA Certified
    DB2 Dprop Certified
    http://users.skynet.be/przytula/dbss.html

Exclamation sockets error

the same error keeps going. I have already done the commands you have written. It gives the SOCKETS error.
    FYI.

10061 is TCPIP timeout ... Either the db2 client is unable to reach the AS/400 server (a ping will show if this is the case) or the port you have mentioned in your client configuration is not 'LISTEN'ing ... I have no clue on commands on AS/400 .. On other platforms, I would have done a 'netstat -an' and checked if the port is in 'LISTEN' state.

On DB2 for z/OS, to enable remote connections to DB2 using DB2 Connect, DDF has to be enabled and configured ... Do you have to do something similar on AS/400 ? .. Have you done it ?

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Question

I can reach as400 from ping, it replies fine. I havent done anything on as400. I can reach the DB2 on as400 from ODBC. The problem is with DB2Connect product, I couldnt suceed.
    waiting for your comments?
    TIA.

how come you can access the OS/400 using ODBC? you have a seperate ODBC driver then ? Check the ODBC connection settings about the port and connection details, whether you are actually using the same.

Anyway: use the Configuration Assistant GUI to help you with the catalog commands. There are special options for OS/400 (and z/OS), which will be automatically generated when using the GUI.
    I also dunno OS/400 specifics, sorry

(I suppose you are not trying to connect using a seperate DB2 Connect instance ? Then you would have to use their port and server details ...)
    Juliane