Question Unanswered: Tools for SQL Server

I'm a newbie in working with SQL Server. Can anybody prompt me some good tools for SQL Server administration and other useful tools for Microsoft SQL Server???

Quote Originally Posted by l_user
    I'm a newbie in working with SQL Server. Can anybody prompt me some good tools for SQL Server administration and other useful tools for Microsoft SQL Server???
    I don't know the rules on the forum about "product placement", but I'll give you my $.02:

I practically can't live without Red-Gate SQL Bundle (SQL Compare, SQL Data Compare and DTS Compare). I primarily use SQL Compare, but the other two have come in handy on occasion.

I've written my own monitoring tools (using WMI) and web front ends (using classic ASP). Partly because I never found anything that "did it all" from a monitoring standpoint and partly for the exercise of digging in to the mechanics of the database and trying to learn how it really works. There's enough sample code out there for bits and pieces that you don't have to write everything from scratch.

I liked what I saw in the trial version of LiteSpeed (from Imceda), but we have not purchased it.

I hate ER Studio, but that's probably because I never got all the training that's needed to really make it work for you.

[Edit: Quest has now apparently purchased Imceda. Arrrrrgh! I hate the way Quest sells its products; they're good products, but the licensing arrangements bite!!!]

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

A competitor to Red-Gate is ApexSQL. I use their products and love them.

Thumbs up SQL Manager for SQL Server

EMS SQL Manager in my opinion is the best product of this kind. It works very well both with SQL2000 and SQL2005 databases. All proposed features are very useful and allow for management of databases not only on MS SQL platform but also on MSDE what can be very usefull for small development projects.

http://www.sqlmanager.net/products/mssql/manager
    Last edited by DEkart; 12-16-05 at 03:23.

Sql5000? Ummmmm...
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Kaiser
    Sql5000? Ummmmm...
    Future version of sql server on year 5000 AD .
    Though I wonder EMS SQL Manager would support that now?
    I love cursor,though I never use it.Cos' I dont want to misuse it.
    ----------------------------------------------

----cheers
    ----http://mallier.blogspot.com