Thread: Switchboard

Unanswered: Switchboard

I'm using switchboard. I've setup an item in "Edit Mode". When I select the item to edit it doesn't prompt me for a name. I get the complete database. Am I missing something?

Are you selecting the item from the switchboard, and is this "item" a form?

Yes to both. The form is being used to update the table.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean by when you select the item it doesn't prompt you for a name. What name are you talking about? Also, when you say you get the complete database - when you're in the switchboard, you're in the database.

Maybe the "item" you select is not linked to the correct form you're wanting to open. I would check the switchboard manager to see what form you have linked to that control.

I'm sorry but I'm not understanding the whole picture. Please elaborate on exactly what you want to happen. It's a little vague.

I want to be able to select a particular client. By doing so, will allow me to edit his/her information. The data base has about 300 clients. When I select the edit from switchboard, it provides the database and I have to scroll through the list. My query is set up to select the client I want to work with. Does that help?

It sounds like you need a parameter form. You could create an unbound form that has a text box on it referencing all your clients.

Then you would have a command button that when clicked on, will take you to that client's record.

I don't know how familiar you are with Access but to get started, create a query that lists only your client names (don't know if you have one field with both first and last name or two fields one for last name and one for first name). If you have a field each for last and first name you could concatenate them by entering the following in the Field Name of the query:

[LastNameFieldName] & "," & " " & [FirstNameFieldName]

Then the name will appear as: LastName, FirstName

After you move out of the field, it will automatically be labeled with an expression number, you can rename that part of it to client or whatever you want.

Then you may want to sort the names by Ascending.

(This is the query you would reference for the record source for your text box on your Parameter Form.)

Now you need to create the unbound parameter form. You will need to place a text box on it with the Row Source Type property selected with Table/Query. Then in the Row Source property you would select the query you just created.

You may want to place two command buttons on the form. One that will open the client's record and one the user can click on if they change their mind that will close the parameter form.

In the On Click event of the first command button you would want to reference the name of the form you are using to edit client information.

If the form that has the client information is bound to a query, you need to open the query and in the cirteria line of the client field name you need to reference the name of the parameter form.

Example: [forms]![yourParameterform]![ControlName]

Then go to your switchboard manager and in the item you are clicking on, you will need to change the form that opens to the parameter form you created.

There may be some other things to take into consideration depending on how you have your database setup. Sometimes I have several forms that look identical, one for editing only, one to add a client, and one that the user can only look at and not add or edit anything. This is just a preference I have based on my particular users. I'm just mentioning it in case you have something like this going on, you may have to do some adjusting if you are using the same query for all those forms.

Anyway, I hope I didn't confuse you at all. If you don't understand something, let me know.

Not quite working. On the query, you mention to add [forms]![yourParameterform]![ControlName] to the criteria line. Would the ControlName be the original query or the form I'm using to update. Also, you talk about Row Source. Would this be the Control Source?

Provided Answers: 59
    would an unbound combobox, placed in say the form header or footer, containing your customers be a 'neater' solution to your problem?
    place some code in the combo's on click & on update to set a filter
    eg
    me.filteron=false
    me.filter=[<mycolumnID>]=<mycombobox>.value
    me/filteron=true

the rowsource for the combobox to include say your customer ID & customers names.

the only wrinkle is that the combo box would not be rebuilt to reflect any new customers. No big deal, you just have to requery the combo as required (after a new customer has ben added or manually (I used to put a 'refresh' button adjacent to such combos so the users coudl refresh the data as required)

HTH

Thanks the combo box works great. Thanks for the help.

Sorry about that, it was my mistake. I accidentally put "text box" for your clients and it should be a combo box, that's how I have mine set up.

Glad you got it working.

Also, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was out of town.

No problem, know how the out town goes. Was out myself the last few days. Thanks for the help, all is working fine.