Question Unanswered: Limiting size of transaction logs when incremental backups are enabled - Help please

We have recently implemented an incremental backup-restore procedure for our ever growing database. The person who was in charge of this process informed us that, in order to enable this type of process, transaccion logging needed to be changed. That, instead of circular log files, archived logging needed to be enabled.

Upon doing this, we saw a change in our database log directory where our log files (1 GB total) are normally stored (...\DB2\NODE0000\SQL00001\SQLOGDIR). Subdirectories were created within that directory following with this structure: ...\SQLOGDIR\DB2\<db name>\NODE0000\<subdirectory name>, where <subdirectory name> varies and these subdirectories get created and erased by DB2, from what we can see (for example, we now have only one, named C0000004). Apparently, DB2 moves log files in there and never erases them. What we find strange is that there are logs in there with today's date, whereas there are logs with yesterday's date in the main log directory (...\SQLOGDIR).

We recently discovered this directory had grown to more than 120 GB, so we manually went it an erased the older logs.

Our question is as follows:

Even if this is necessarily true and this type of logging has to take place in order to be able to run incremental backups, is there a way for DB2 to erase the older log files without us having to create an external application that stays resident?

Provided Answers: 1
    I think if you enable userexit DB2 will reuse archived log files.

Never used that parameter, so I did a search on USEREXIT and a lot of threads came up, but none seem to explain what the effect is on what I am doing. In fact, I saw some threads suggesting you didn't use the program after 8.2.

Help please.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973
    I did a search on USEREXIT and a lot of threads came up
    May be it's time to read the manual instead?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce...n/c0006086.htm

archive

I saw some threads suggesting you didn't use the program after 8.2.
    this is a misunderstanding.. in 8.2 you can specify
    logarchmeth1 = copy/destination path so db2 will handle the archive copy and not the userexit (or vendor/library..)
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    DB2/ORA/SQL Services
    DB2 DBA & Advanced DBA Certified
    DB2 Dprop Certified
    http://users.skynet.be/przytula/dbss.html

As Guy has suggested, in 8.2 you can set the log archive path in the db cfg as follows:

db2 update db cfg using logarchmeth1 disk:/path-name

You can also set a mirror path for archive logs using logarchmeth2.

This will move archive logs from the active log directory to the path-name specified above. Obviously, you will have to clean the archive log path to keep it from getting full.
    Last edited by Marcus_A; 12-16-05 at 05:30.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390