Unanswered: How to access Oracle Table from DB2

Hi

I have DB2 running on Mainframe MVS system. I need to access few tables of Oracle DB running on AIX.
    1. Can I access Oracle tables from DB2 directly in realtime (No middleware please)
    2. Any tool to keep Oracle and DB2 tables in sync, incase changes are made in eather systems.

Thanks for your help.
    Andy

I think it's possible by means of federation. maybe the following link should give you some idea.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...0304lurie.html

Thanks Murali, Appreciate your help. Will read it today.

Federation is for DB2 to DB2 i.e. access tables of another DB2 database from within a source database. For Oracle table you might want to look at DB2 Information Integrator (name recently changed to WAS Information Integrator).

Actually this is what i found about federated systems from DB2 manual..

A federated system consists of the following components:

* A DB2 instance that operates as a federated server
    * A database that acts as the federated database
    * One or more data sources
    * Clients (users and applications) that access the database and data sources

Data sources

In a federated system, a data source can be a relational DBMS instance (such as DB2, Informix®, Oracle, or Sybase) or a nonrelational data source (such as BLAST search algorithm or an XML tagged file).

which made me believe you can have mix of RDBMS as a system & DB2 can interact with them.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dollar489
    Federation is for DB2 to DB2 i.e. access tables of another DB2 database from within a source database. For Oracle table you might want to look at DB2 Information Integrator (name recently changed to WAS Information Integrator).
    As far I know, Federation is DB2 -> other RDBMS like Oracle and etc. But Mainframe I hope we need DB2 Connect.

MainFrame -> DB2Connect (catalog MainFrame db)
    DB2Connect -> UDB Federated (Catalog DB2Connect's db ie, cataloged from Mainframe)

With Regards

Bala

Federation is just a parameter on DB2 database manager level which when enabled will allow the capability to access other databsaes (through user mapping, create server, nickname etc.). But again as I said earlier DB2 software without DB2 Information Integrator (Oracle wrapper in this case) will not allow one the capability to acess Oracle database or as a matter of fact any non-DB2 RDBMS.

Federation has to be enabled to access "other" (DB2, Oracle, Teradata etc) databases but for non-DB2 databases DB2 II is the way to go, unless I had not catch up the latest technology advancements

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/integration/