Thread: Multiusers

Unanswered: Multiusers

Hello, i have a problem. Maybe its not a problem but something doesn't work in my db. I want to create couple users, and let each user to open/run different forms or macros or tables. I set up everything (new workgroup file, new users with their permissions) but when i log in with specific user, i can still open all forms, tables, etc... although checkbox'es are set to prevent this user from doing it...

What could be wrong?

Thanx

YZF,
    I am doing something similar but am NOT using the usergroup functions of Access.

I have code that captures the user logon name. I also have two tables for user "permissions" - whether a user is a Mgr or User. I use an IF-THEN and DLookup statement on a Form open button to compare the user logon name to a particular permission table:

If User_Name() = DLookup("[User_Name]", "tbl_usersMgr", "User_Name=" "'& User_Name() & "'") then
    <open form>
    Else
    MsgBox "You don't have permission to ....."
    DoCmd.Close
    Exit Sub
    End If

This works pretty well for me. I have about 23 users on my db so managing user permissions is not too difficult.

rclocke

Provided Answers: 59
    did you remove all permissioins form the 'Admin' user?
    are you seeing the login screen
    how have you coereced your users to use the workgroup file, ie are you certqain that when they open there copy of your database they are usign the correct workgroup.

There is a security FAQ on securing Access applications, I think its on the microsoft site - well worth a read.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    did you remove all permissioins form the 'Admin' user?
    are you seeing the login screen
    how have you coereced your users to use the workgroup file, ie are you certqain that when they open there copy of your database they are usign the correct workgroup.

There is a security FAQ on securing Access applications, I think its on the microsoft site - well worth a read.
    Something was wrong there, i created fresh workgroup file and now it works...

And rclocke idea is very interesting....how do you manage to capture logon name?

Thnx

one way:

Dim wshNetwork As Object
    Dim strLogin as string
    Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("wscript.network")
    strLogin = wshNetwork.UserName
    Set wshNetwork = Nothing

another way

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanx Izy for the samples.

YZF, I use something very similar to "another way" posted by Izy. I use the UserName() to determine if they can even get into my Access db (I'm on a very large LAN but we limit access to our DB based on my user table) and then I use a Mgr/User table to further restrict access.

A couple of other uses for the UserName value:
    1. I pass the UserName value to an Unbound text box on my initial dashboard that displays to the user his or her name - minor touch but adds a little personality to the db.
    2. I use this value as a default value for other forms if the users enter data/info and I want to associate that data/info to a particualr user (i.e. tie that data/info to a user in a table). When they open a data entry form, their name is already displayed in a "Submitted by" field.

Lots of use for this "value".

Rich (rclocke)