Thread: Stupid Question

Unanswered: Stupid Question

I have managed to set up oracle management server and create a repository. I used the 'typical' option in the configuration assistant, and kept a copy of the repository password, as suggested by the config assistant. Everything went through fine but now I'm stuck.

I assume I have to start the management server running, so I tried '% oemctl start oms' in Unix, but got a 'not found' error (the kind you get when it doesn't have a clue what you're trying to do). It also occurred to me that as I went with the 'typical' setup, I'm not sure what the name of the management server is! Or is it simply the name of my server that I started config assistant on?

Also, there is a note which says that the oracle home must be correct, but again, I don't know if the oracle home used to set this up is the same as my usual oracle home, because it set it all up without me having visibility of it!

Can anyone help me please in how I overcome all of these problems and move on to the next stage (i.e. successfully logging into enterprise manager using management server!)

Many thanks
    Paula

A couple of things:

check your ORACLE_HOME and PATH env by typing:

echo $ORACLE_HOME
    echo $PATH

Sounds to me that you installed OEM in another Oracle Home but have not added the proper information to your .bash_profile (or appropriate to your env).

If you are using Redhat, to find where oemctl is located try this from say your "/home/oracle" sub-directory...

find . -name oemctl

This will find the path for oemctl and you can then add the path variable to your profile.

As far as the "name" of your management server, it is simply the hostname of the machine it is installed.

Hope this Helps some...
    JoeB
    save disk space, use smaller fonts

Ok, I have got a bit further. I've now found where oemctl is and have attempted to start it. It however does not start oms but gives an ORA12505 error. I have added the SID to my /opt/bin/tnsnames.ora file, but still no luck.

Any ideas where I may be going wrong? oemctl is sat in my oracle home directory (/tpp/oracle/general/9.2.0), and I presume it is finding the tnsnames file, but just cannot resolve it.

As I said before I used the 'typical' configuration in the enterprise comfiguration assistant, which means it assigned its own SID, database name et al. I think the SID is OEMREP, but can anyone confirm that this is the name assigned when you run the config assistant the way I have?

Many thanks!

Before you can run ANY oracle application on the server, you must have two enviromental variables set.

ORACLE_SID (set to the name of your database OEMREP)
    ORACLE_HOME (set the the base directory of the software stack)

Without these variables being set, the application will not work. I am assuming that your listener and tnsnames.ora is already correct.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I now have oms started and the listener finds the database etc. However in enterprise manager the discovery wizard does not find any nodes. I am going to try stopping and starting the intelligent agent, and also making sure that the dbsnmp is owned by root and has been ran by root. Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks,
    Paula.