Unanswered: Most recent file list

Yesterday i worked with 3 different people, who couldnt find a file, the most recently used file list should have been 100 files long.

I am sure this would be very helpful for many users.

I thought of every time a file is opened writing the file name location and date to sheet 1 of the personal xls file, then adding a new menu item that would show those files as a hyperlink list.

BUT, how can i have excel record when a file is opened? can i do from an event in the personal book?

Help greatly appreciated!

Howdy, Mike. Not sure of the details, but I seem to remember a thread on another board with this kind of requirement. I'll see what I can find.

It might be better to develop an xla add-in rather than use the Personal.xls.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

(retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

Thanks! I look forward

I don't know how you would do this without either:
    A. placing code in every file to update the users MRU list when the file is opened, or
    B. Creating a special procedure to take over the built-in file open commands.

Neither would be very practical or easy to maintain. Plus I think over time recording every file opened in a MRU List would become just as confusing as searching with MS File Explorer.

If you have input on the user environment perhaps you can suggest an improved file structure and using consistent naming conventions for better organization. For example you can use an invoice number or date stamp in the file name to relate it to a transaction or customer account.

If can get everyone together on the same system and they follow it this can work. If not well... the next time someone asks you where a file is just tell them its wherever they last saved it. Unless its your boss then you may want to see what you can do.

FYI - I used, Im sure from this you can fiqure what i did

Dim xl As Excel.Application
    xl = CType(GetObject(Nothing, "Excel.Application"), Excel.Application)
    Catch ex As Exception
    End Try

If xl Is Nothing Then
    xl = New Excel.Application
    End If
    With ofd
    .DefaultExt = "*.Xls"
    .AddExtension = True
    .Filter = "Mikerosoft (*.xls)|*.xls"
    .CheckFileExists = True
    .CheckPathExists = True
    .Multiselect = False
    .InitialDirectory = Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolde r.Recent)
    If ofd.ShowDialog = DialogResult.OK Then
    xl.Visible = True
    xl = Nothing
    End If
    End With
    Catch ex As Exception
    MsgBox(ex.Message, , code.m)
    End Try

'Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFold er.Recent)
    End Sub