Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Getting data input from form to use in a query

Is it possible to get the data a user has entered into a form and use directly in a query? Let me explain a little:

I have 3 forms. When the user has completed all 3, I need to produce an output text file.

I want a small prepopulated form to open at the click of a button with the text entries from 2 fields (from the main form) populating these fields. These entries will be used within a query to select data based on these entries.

Is this possible or is there an easier way?

Provided Answers: 1
    sounds like a good plan. In general, you can always access values from external objects (ie: forms, reports) by using fully qualified names. In this case:

forms!yourForm!yourTextBox
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Code:

.Open "SELECT *  FROM tblmytable WHERE tblmytable.myfield1 ='" & txtParameterField1.Text & "' AND tblmytable.myfield2 = '" & txtParameterField2.text & "'", Cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

Hi - thanks for that, but it's not working - it's gone all red and is throwing up error message saying "expected end of statement". This is what I've got, can you see anything wrong with it??:

strTable.Open "SELECT * FROM tblHeader WHERE tblHeader.RecptRef = ' "Forms!frmOutputData!txtOutputRR &" '_
    And tblHeader.ENO = "Forms!frmOutputData!txtENOOutput & " ' ", Cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic"

Provided Answers: 1
    Code:
    strTable.Open "SELECT * FROM tblHeader WHERE tblHeader.RecptRef = ' " & Forms!frmOutputData!txtOutputRR & " '_
                  And tblHeader.ENO = '" & Forms!frmOutputData!txtENOOutput & " ' ", Cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic"
    Watch your quotes and your "&"s.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by tasha123
    Hi - thanks for that, but it's not working - it's gone all red and is throwing up error message saying "expected end of statement". This is what I've got, can you see anything wrong with it??:

strTable.Open "SELECT * FROM tblHeader WHERE tblHeader.RecptRef = ' "Forms!frmOutputData!txtOutputRR &" '_
    And tblHeader.ENO = "Forms!frmOutputData!txtENOOutput & " ' ", Cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic"
    Yeah, you forgot the Ampersands infront of each word "Forms"

SQL within VBA - quite fiddly!

Thanks - but I got round that one by just writing it as one line and it worked and I was quite happy until I copied the second one which is much much longer.
    I copied it from within Access and it's coming up with errors. Is there a particular logic to the placement of ampersands and quotes and when do you use the singles and when do you use the doubles?

Sorted that as well - replaced some double quotes with single ones and hey, ... it worked. Would still like to know the logic behind the quotes and ampersand as I still copied all the code on to one line. Thanks for all your help so far..... and Merry Christmas to all...

You have to kinda memorize the sequence to encapsulate the text within your query statement with ' " & txt & " ' . Remember for a number it's different. It's like .. " Select * from tblmytable where tblNumberfield.inumber = " & numbervariable, Cnn, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

Desperate - VBA - sequentially write output of 2 queries to one file

Hi I desperately need help as I'm soo close to my deadline. Thanks for all your help so far.
    Having run the output queries, I need to output them into one text file. When I did an append query, the second file's formats changed where a normal field was appended to a date field from the other table. I have now decided to output the files directly as text files, then try and merge them. I've managed to output them, but don't know the code to merge them. here is my export code
    DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "TblOutput Export Specification", "tblOutput", _
    "K:\...\..\M..\T..\tblOutput.txt", True

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "TblOutput2 Export Specification", "tblOutput2", _
    "K:\...\...\..\M\..\..\tblOutput2.txt", True

Please help - thank you.

YOu can use different methods but I see you already save them in txt format, use the Read method below then

' TO save --just showing how I would save the same text files
    Private Sub BtnSave_Click()
    Dim Text1 As String
    Dim Text2 As String

Text1 = YOurText1
    Text2 = YOurText2

Open App.Path & "\DataPath.txt" For Output As #1
    Write #1, Text1, Text2
    Close #1

End Sub
    -------------
    'TO read

Function GetText(TextPath as string) as string
    Open App.Path & TextPath For Input As #1
    Input #1, Text1, Text2
    Close #1
    GetText = Text1 & ":" & Text2
    End Function

YOurDesireTExt = GetText("\Datapath.txt")

SInce you already saved your text 1 and 2 to txt files and you know the path locations, you can just use the "To Read" code

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by fredservillon; 12-23-05 at 14:04.

Thanks for this - my version is playing up at the moment so I'll try using yours. Could you please explain this line - Open App.Path & "\DataPath.txt" For Output As #1. i.e. what would I be putting there - particulary in 'App.Path'. I'm only saving mine in D:\temp

Hi - when I put Private Function within Private Sub it complains, how do i get round this?

you don't/can't/shouldn't want to.

private sub blah()
    private function santa() as string 'not allowed
    'somecode 'not allowed
    end function 'not allowed
    end sub

what are you trying to do?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by tasha123
    Hi - when I put Private Function within Private Sub it complains, how do i get round this?
    Sorry I missed the line "End Sub" I just corrected that one.

BY the way, I used this currently in my application and I just change some text in it, and it works. I used it to store path location for whenever the user saves the path of file she/he wanted to save and when the user logs back in again and executes the application it fetches that file and use it in database connection codes.
    Last edited by fredservillon; 12-23-05 at 14:44.