Unanswered: materialized views

Materialized Views sound useful for a reporting scheme that we're investigating. I'm trying to determine ahead of time if materialized views are the answer, or if a table that is truncated and updated nightly via a PACKAGE would be a better solution.

Thanks,
    Chuck

s long as you can reduce your data collection to a query, then you can have the oracle database automatically maintain the MVIEW. How long does the select that would need to be run to produce the MVIEW take. If it is not very long, then use a simple view and avoid the entire headache.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

I also just found an option on an MVIEW which allows it to be updated on a schedule, like every 7 days.
    -cf

Provided Answers: 4
    That's right, because in previous Oracle versions materialized views were known as snapshots (perhaps this term sounds familiar to you?); this is yet another forum thread that contains quite a nice post about materialized views (excerpt from some book). You might want to read it.

...in which poor Todd Barry gets put firmly in his place by one tarun123v, who clearly still cherishes his copy of "Oracle 8i DBA Handbook". I think tarun123v may have taken a rather odd statement a bit too literally.