Unanswered: Is Delphi market growing or shrinking?

Hi,

I would like to start a subject:
    Is Delphi market growing or shrinking?

This has been a hot topic discussed in a brazilian forum (forum.clubedelphi.net), and there we talking about the way borland is going into the .NET direction, and discontinuing Linux solutions like Kylix. Is this the best way to go? We all, developers, must follow this or change to another solution?

I would like to hear about this subject from you, americans developers...
    Adriano Ferreira
    Petrópolis/RJ/Brasil
    adriano at sssinformatica dot com dot br

Ok, I will consider this forum as useless.
    Adriano Ferreira
    Petrópolis/RJ/Brasil

I like Delphi better than any RAD apps. It's fast in compiling and execution and it's Pascal based.
    I'm using more of VB now for the reason that MS dominates our OS and I'm concern about BOrland not able to catch up on compatibility when MS goes into changes or upgrades, although I haven't seen it happened on my developed apps. If you can recall what happen to Word Perfect at one point with windows OS, there was a problem but I can't exactly recall the details.

Quote Originally Posted by aerreira
    Ok, I will consider this forum as useless.
    Yes, you are rigth.

By the way, Delphi market is shrinking, .NET and Java growing.

Regards.

in fact Borland yesterday announced they're abandoning all their development and database tools (including Delphi and Interbase).
    Ostensibly they're looking for a buyer to continue the line but in practice that almost always means that the products will be abandoned by that buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by jwenting
    in fact Borland yesterday announced they're abandoning all their development and database tools (including Delphi and Interbase).
    Ostensibly they're looking for a buyer to continue the line but in practice that almost always means that the products will be abandoned by that buyer.
    Actually that's not true. Here's the quote from the Borland CEO:

"In addition, Borland announced today that we will be divesting our IDE product lines, driving even tighter focus on the ALM market. These product lines include our award-winning Borland Developer Studio (Delphi, C++ Builder and C# Builder) and JBuilder. Our intent is to create a standalone business focused on the IDE market, capable of investing in the opportunities that exist for these product lines and advancing developer productivity. Borland’s IDE business requires a distinct business model and focused investments different from our ALM business, which targets the broader software delivery organization. We believe that separating these businesses will enable both to flourish and grow more aggressively through targeted focus and investment. It goes without saying that we will do everything possible to ensure a successful transition of our products and customers to the new entity."

Quote Originally Posted by jwenting
    I´ve read about that yesterday...

In my oppinion, Borland is trying to make money with an excelent product - BDS2006 - while it´s still on the top of all Delphi´s versions, a very robust and fast product. Until other development-tools producers don´t create something on the same level of quality tool, Borland will try to make the most money they can seling BDS2006 to someone else.

I hope who buys Delphi uses all of its potencialitty to grow even more and better. It would be a waste of money to buy Delphi and discontinue it, so I don´t think (and hope so) it will not happen.
    Adriano Ferreira
    Petrópolis/RJ/Brasil

ranbla, it depends on how you read it. You read it like they want you to read it, as if there's a great bright future ahead.
    I read it as the sceptic would, that Borland sees no future in the product line and wants to get rid of it for the highest sum possible while there's still any value at all.
    Borland has always had terrible marketing, to the extent where the vast majority of their users are now older people who have worked with their products (in their various incarnations) for 10 years or more.
    Most younger people I meet don't even know the name except for that old Turbo C++ 3.1 they were using at school and want to download to use at home. They're surprised the company still exists, for why would their school use a 15 year old (or older) compiler if there's a newer one...

This whole stink reminds me of the worst of the Inprise days, when there were strong rumours that Inprise was planning to abandon the IDE line as well. At that time the Inprise idea collapsed under its own weight before that could happen (and in fact the sales of the IDE line were the only thing keeping the company afloat).

I was only commenting that according to that article, they're not selling off Delphi. They're creating a separate company entity to deal with it.

Personally, I like Delphi, but regardless of whether or not there's a shrinking market for it, it was never really that big to begin with. I've worked in a software shop where Delphi was used and there is still a demand out there for Delphi developers, probably more for maintenance than new development however.

Truly, if you want to expand your own marketability, C++, C# and Java are what I'd be focusing on.