Thread: Query Joins

Talking Unanswered: Query Joins

I understand the equi-join and the left outer join and the right outer join, but I don't understand how to do the following.

I have two tables with a left outer join in the Relationships window. I need this type of join for a form. But I also need a right outer join for a report using these same tables.

I understand that join types in queries don't affect the Relationships window.

I created the report's query with the left outer join but now realize I need a right outer join for the report.

I tried changing the join type in the report's query but get the "The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous outer joins. To force one of the joins to be performed first, create a separate query that performs the first join and then include that query in your SQL statement."

I don't know how to do what this message is telling me to do.

Everything I search and read about joins just confuses me more! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Another note: Should I not have any relationships in the relationships window if I'm going to use queries for all my forms and reports? Then in each individual query specifiy the join type?