Unanswered: chained/unchained

Hi,

I am not able to understand advantage (if at all any) of CHAINED mode of transactions.
    Why does anyone, who are running live environment, wants to run the Sybase in CHAINED mode, in which for every DML command explicit commit/rollback is required.
    Can anybody who are using this feature can explian the advantage or a scenriao where this is required.

Thanks
    -Durga

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by adurga
    Hi,

I am not able to understand advantage (if at all any) of CHAINED mode of transactions.
    Why does anyone, who are running live environment, wants to run the Sybase in CHAINED mode, in which for every DML command explicit commit/rollback is required.
    Can anybody who are using this feature can explian the advantage or a scenriao where this is required.

Thanks
    -Durga
    In a live environment it isn't used very much I think. Chained/unchained can be useful for developers, or more advanced users, or with applications that are a bit more complex.
    I'm not crazy, I'm an aeroplane!

In Sybase it is very important to have short-lived transactions, and by using explicit transactions (begin tran, save tran) it is often easier to handle this correctly.

In addition a lot of systems are written with a large number of stored procedures where each proc performs some task. In that situation each proc can either have each own transaction, or use the global transaction started by the top-most proc and just use SAVE TRAN and COMMIT/ROLLBACK to handle the transactions correctly.

Personally I never used the CHAINED mode, for example.

Michael