Unanswered: Error while installing ASE-12.5.2 on Fedora 4

Hi,

I am trying to install ASE-12.5.2 developer edition on Fedora 4 (2.6.11 kernel),I got following error message while running GUI mode and ./setup -console mode.

"The wizard cannot continue because of the following error: could not load wizard specified in /wizard.inf (104) "

I did following pre-installations tasks:
    1) Created sybase user and I am trying to install as sybase ( not root)
    2) Created home directory /opt/sybase-12.5.2 (owner is sybase)
    3) Allocated shared memory by running the following command:
    /sbin/sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=1073741824 and included the same command in rc.local file
    4) Down loaded ase1252_de_linux.tgz, gunzip and untarred
    5) Down loaded j2sdk-1_4_2_10-linux-i586.bin and installed java

It seems I did all necessary things to install ASE-12_5.2 on Fedora 4, but still I am not able to to that.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    BSR

It is possible that you are being blocked by the SElinux setting. Try to disable SElinux (in /etc/selinux/config, requires a reboot) and see if that helps.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks a lot for your response,as you suggested I disabled SElinux (in /etc/selinux/config ) and rebooted ,it worked, now I am able to launch the installer, but I got into another problem,after 3 steps while configuring the different servers it is hanging,I saw the following error message in log.txt.

(Dec 28, 2005 5:34:44 AM), Setup.product.install, com.ibm.wizard.platform.linux.LinuxProductServiceI mpl, msg1, installing Configurator Environment Files (suite_sysam_bean4)
    (Dec 28, 2005 5:39:30 AM), Setup.product.install, com.installshield.wizard.swing.SwingWizardUI, err, java.lang.NullPointerException
    STACK_TRACE: 14
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at java.net.InetAddress.cacheAddress(InetAddress.java :667)
    at java.net.InetAddress.cacheAddress(InetAddress.java :652)
    at java.net.InetAddress.getAddressFromNameService(Ine tAddress.java:1034)
    at java.net.InetAddress.getLocalHost(InetAddress.java :1142)
    at com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.ConfigPanel.getHost Name(ConfigPanel.java:532)
    at com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.ConfigPanel.initPro perties(ConfigPanel.java:154)
    at com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.ConfigASEPanel.init Properties(ConfigASEPanel.java:24)
    at com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.ConfigPanel.queryEn ter(ConfigPanel.java:35)
    at com.sybase.ismp.ase.wizardbean.ConfigASEPanel.quer yEnter(ConfigASEPanel.java:31)
    at com.installshield.wizard.awt.AWTWizardUI.currentBe anChanged(AWTWizardUI.java:1646)
    at com.installshield.wizard.StandardWizardListener.cu rrentBeanChanged(StandardWizardListener.java:100)
    at com.installshield.wizard.Wizard$RunThread.run(Wiza rd.java:1564)

Am I missing some thing?

Thanks in advance
    BSR.

I'm not sure, but it is possible that the JDK that you installed is interfering. I usually do the install without modifying the Java install on the machine, and it has worked fine for me for all my recent (last year or more) installs (FC 2, 3 and 4, RH EL 3 and 4, for ASE 12.5.2 and 15.0).

Michael

Michael,

I uninstalled JDK which I installed,still I was not able to,but I found the problem,there was no entry in /etc/hosts for my machine,that was the reason installation wizard was hanging while bulilding the servers,I made that change and managed to install every thing.

Thanks a lot for your help.
    BSR.