Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: How to Represent One to many relationship on the report

I have one to many relationship tables.At the table level the relationship is clearly represented by the main table (on the 'one'side') and the subdatasheet for the 'many' side(second table).These tables are being front-ended by a mainform(on the 'one' side) and a subform(on the 'many' side).My reports are based on underlying queries.My concern here is on how to represent this data relationships on the reports???? with subtotals and grand totals.????I have tried to put a subreport at a details section of the main report but there was some data duplicates....the same applies when I ran the query itself....is there any suggestions???Below is the sample illustration:
    Here MainTable One(on the 'one' side)relates to Second Table Many(on the 'many' side)

Table One Table Many
    Record A A1,A2,A3,A4
    Record B B1,B2,B3,B4

The Detail report should display
    Record A
    ` A1
    A2
    A3
    A4
    subtotalsA

Record B
    B1
    B2
    B3
    B4
    subtotalsB

Grand totals:Record A + Record B + subtotalsA + subtotalsB

Could this be represented in summary form also????
    IS there any way to improve the above representation????
    Any suggetion is highly welcome and appreciated!!
    Thanks

Provided Answers: 1
    Read up on Grouping Levels. They will do what you want.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Teddy's right about the grouping levels for reports, but what problem are you having when you run just the query without the report?

Well thanks. Now I can manage to group them accordingly .But the problem currently is how to get grand totals from those groups...I have used the folowing solution but it doesnt work:

Subreport name = SalesSubreport
    Field Name = ProductA
    TextBox name = ProductACost - at the report footer section
    ControlSource :=sum([ProductACost]) - for the above textbox,these are subtotals,seem to work fine

Mainreport Name : Sales
    TextBox name= TotalProductACost
    ControlSource:=[SalesSubreport].[Report]![ProductACost] -at the mainreport footer section

Is there anyproblem with above expressions?????By the way ,How can I suppress detail section so that I can have a summary version of it???

Provided Answers: 59
    put some code in the relevant reports on print or on format report to set cancel = true - this inhibits printing

to get your totals in the main report - don't understand

you could repeat you sum formula in hte sub reports report footer

Incidentaly it sounds to me as if your report design is iffy. I'm guessing htat you should create a query incorporating all relevant fields and use that query to do your report, using appropriate sorts & grouping. The whole ethos behind relational design is that you should be able ot acess different views of your data depending on the relational keys. As far as reporting is conecerned it shouldn't matter how the tables are designed. Effectively your reports (and forms) can treat a query (view in SQL server speak) as a psuedo table.

HTH

What? Sub report? How did you "group" these things? I never mentioned anything about subreports...

Just goes to show Teddy, now matter how you (or Microsoft) want 'em to do a task there is always soemone who wants to do it their own way, and wonder why they hit troubles.

summarized version of the detailed report

Thanks very much for your inputs.Well I could organise my reports using grouping levels concepts and now they are working fine.Now I just want to produce a summarised report for that detailed report ie I just want to suppress a detail part of subreport and hence to remain with only subtotals.I have tried to put visible property=No (for the subreport) ,this works fine, but with lots of blank spaces between one record and another....is there any way to do it better???
    Last edited by fadone; 01-02-06 at 09:09.

suggest you use a parameter pulled in form a form, or possibly when you load / open the report

if the parameter=true then set the Cancel flag in the report details on print (possibly on format - I forget which) events.
    eg
    Cancel=<MySummariseParameter>
    HTH

Subreports are NOT the same as grouping levels, in fact, not even close...

Please clarify EXACTY what you did...

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy

Well I have created a group level on my report through "Sorting And Grouping " option, then I put my subreport into this group level.I have also defined subtotals for the subreport at this level.The report is working very fine except as I mentioned earlier,am still struggling to get a summarized report in a proper way.
    I hope you have understood...

Well I have created a group level on my report through "Sorting And Grouping " option, then I put my subreport into this group level.I have also defined subtotals for the subreport at this level.The report is working very fine except as I mentioned earlier,am still struggling to get a summarized report in a proper way.

Why are you using a subreport? This is what I'm asking for.

the reason is to represent one to many relationship on the report.............