Thread: Postgres Crash

Question Unanswered: Postgres Crash

HI,

I am looking for a a method or process to simulate a scenario to crash postgres for testing my software. Since we need to check the behaviour of our application when there is a databse crash, so needs a method to crash the postgress.

Amit0

This is a fairly advanced topic. The subject of crashes has been discussed a couple of times on the postgresql.org general mailing list. I recall one scenario in which a server base lost power and crashed. The person who posted the message indicated the servers had PostgreSQL and other RDBMS programs. PostgreSQL "crashed nicely", in that it started back up without any difficulties at all, whereas some other RDBMS's had some problems and needed to be rehabilitated. I understand that the OS makes a difference and disk caching issues may exist for Windows. I'd advice searching the archives of the PostgreSQL.org mailing lists and then asking specific questions there.

Quote Originally Posted by amit_tora
    HI,

I am looking for a a method or process to simulate a scenario to crash postgres for testing my software. Since we need to check the behaviour of our application when there is a databse crash, so needs a method to crash the postgress.

Amit0

With the first resolution i.e. to power off the system i am not able to generate the scenario... can you plz tell some other wat taht can help me to generate a postgres crash.

Well, per the above post
    Quote Originally Posted by ByteRyder52
    I'd advice searching the archives of the PostgreSQL.org mailing lists and then asking specific questions there.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert