Unanswered: Tempdb FULL !!!!!!!!!!!

Received errors: Error: 9002, Severity: 17, State: 6

The log file for database 'tempdb' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space !!???

Can or should the TempDB be backed up?

My TempDB shows Size 34mb with space available 29mb

unrestricted file growth on data and log file with 'grow by 10%' set.

not sure what to do about this one.. can anyone help!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpotucek
    Received errors: Error: 9002, Severity: 17, State: 6

The log file for database 'tempdb' is full. Back up the transaction log for the database to free up some log space !!???

Can or should the TempDB be backed up?

My TempDB shows Size 34mb with space available 29mb

unrestricted file growth on data and log file with 'grow by 10%' set.

not sure what to do about this one.. can anyone help!!!!!!
    TempDB cannot be backed up.

The error indicates that the LOG file is full, you will get this error if the LOG file fills up and is not set to autogrow (or if the file is resident on a drive that is full and so cannot grow).

Are your log files on a separate drive from your data files? If not, they really should be (even the temp db log file). There is a KB article from microsoft on moving system database files (google "move master database sql server").

If they are on a separate drive and (as I suspect) the drive is full, then you will have to take steps to reduce the size of the (other) log files in addition to handling the TempDB log file.

Be sure (once everything is back under control) that you cap the growth on any database files/log files that are set to autogrow.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

My Data and Log files for TemDB are on Different drives.

The Drive with the Data File for Tempdb has 50GB free (the datafile is 34mb)
    The Drive with the Log File for TempDB has 80GB free (the log file is 12mb)

Tempdb (data AND log files) - set to Autogrow by 10% with unlimited file growth.

Given all that.. not sure why the SQL Server Log is reporting this error of if I should even worry about it.. ?????????

Provided Answers: 11
    This error can be (trivially) reported, if a large query is cancelled. Any ideas if that is the case here?

I suppose someone could have been running a large report which would generate a query. We only have one home-grown APP and a handfull of out-of-the-box stuff like FAS and Great Plains.. No one has the ability to do any ad-hoc queries directly against the DB so I'm kinda at a loss here.....