Question Unanswered: SQL 2000 possible to initiate database transfer?

Hi guys,

I am new to SQL Server 2000 and like to enquire the following.

Scenario:
    this current website is hosted by A but now taken over by B.
    B was given SQL server username and password and was instructed to download the database directly from A based on the username n pw given.

So my qns is:
    Is it possible to initiate data transfer from one server situated at locationA to another server at locationB that doesnt belong to the same domain? If can, by which ways? Using the DTS method? Or there are some settings to be configure at ODBC in order to initiate the data transfer?

Any experts out there?

Provided Answers: 6
    just do a backup from the original site. create a placeholder database on at the destination and use the REPLACE argument of the RESTORE command.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

hey Thrasymachus, thanks. but i was wondering if there's any way to do it thru DTS method?

there is and it is called the copy database wizard and it is a POS and there are many issues you will encounter. the first of which is everyone has to be out of the database, and then there are issues with mapping the security accounts etc..
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

im still a little confused over the transferring of database and still encountering problem. would it be possible to verify if the way i did is correct?

[1] in the Enterprise Manager right click on the blank database i've created and select Import data
    [2] choose the correct datasource and server (in this case, i put in the ip address of the website where its hosted now), select the login mode to SQL Authentication
    [3] after i click next, this is where the problem arises. it kept on showing "sql server does not exist or access is denied"

am i doing the right way? esp the part where i put in the ip address?

the problem lies in #2. Are you on the same network as the DB server? Is the IP address the IP of the DB server? If the answer to my first question is no, is the DB server and the port sql server is listening on exposed to the internet?

nope we are not in the same network as the DB server.
    the IP address given to us belongs to the website domain.

pertaining to your last qns... how do i check if the DB server and the port sql server is listening on exposed to the internet?

basically on my side, i open port 1433 at the firewall. does this help?
    i have attached a picture of the error im getting when i tried to do a server group registration.

this sql problem is driving me crazy...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sqlerror.gif  

oh to add on, this is the connection string im using in the global.asa

Application("NV_CONNECTION_STRING") = "DSN=abc;UID=abcuserid;PWD=abcpassword"

anybody has any idea what shld i choose under the "data source"?
    is it "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server"?

It is probably the case that there is a firewall that is preventing access to the desired port and IP address as there should be, because leaving such things exposed to the internet is very dangerous. Just do a back up from the original site, ftp that file and restore it to where you need it. The copy database wizard is a peice of shit anyways and will likely fail on you for a number of reasons.