Unanswered: Problem DTSing into table with Identity field

Hello everyone,

I have a table X that has two columns (names have been changed to protect the guilty and innocent alike):
    ID which is an identity column, and
    Data which is a varchar.

I am trying to DTS data from a text file into this table. I want the identity column ID to auto-populate and each row of information from the file to be stored in the Data field.

I am creating the DTS package using the wizard in Enterprise Mgr. No matter what I try, I keep getting the following error:

Cannot insert the value NULL into column 'ID', table 'X'; column does not allow nulls. INSERT fails.

Any advice on what I need to do to get this working? It seems like such a simple thing and I'm getting very frustrated.

Thanks in advance.
    Cathy

Provided Answers: 6
    DTS sucks.

Are you using the wizard. Have you tried hitting the transform button and ignore on the source column.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Does every record in the text file have an ID value? Sounds like there must be NULLs.

ddave

Hello again,

Thrasymachus,
    Yes, I'm using the wizard and setting the transformation to <ignore> the identity column. And yes, DTS does suck! :-)

dolfandave,
    My file does not have values for the identity column, I'm trying to get them to be auto-generated by SQL Server, like they would if I did an insert into the table in isql.

Thanks,
    Cathy

Identity Insert

did u try checking the "Enable Identity insert" checkbox in the Tranform Data Task properties?