Unanswered: Access 2002 - 2003 Format Issue

I'm continuing to look for this answer on my own, but just in case someone here can point me to the information I seek...

We recently purchased new computers for *some* employees and got Office 2003 with them. Everyone else is using Office 2002 (XP) still.

Preliminary information we (admittedly only somewhat) read suggested that Access files saved with 2003 would still be usable with 2002. However, when I took a UI frontend created in 2002, opened it with 2003 and saved it (as 2002 - 2003 format), then opened it with 2002 on a different machine, I get the old "unrecognized format" error telling me the file was probably saved with a later version.

The backend data file was also created and saved from 2002 and never opened or saved from 2003.

Both machines have all applicable office service packs installed.

Is there just something I'm overlooking here? Why would the file format be named 2002 - 2003 if it doesn't work in 2002?

Thanks in advance,
    vaedin

Provided Answers: 59
    Access 2003 can work happily without any problems on A2000/A2002/Office XP formats.
    I think it helps if you set the default file type = to A2000 (I think 2002/XP) format has few if any changes compared to A2000

Yeah, I fully expected no issues too. Further reading shows me not particular reason why this is happening. For testing, I created a blank file in 2003 with a single form and textbox reading, "HI" that shows on startup. The mdb file was launchable in 2002, but not the converted mde file.

There was no code at all, but perhaps it is somehow a references issue anyway?
    Update (before I even post, wow): I unchecked all the references I could, leaving VBA and Office 11 objects and Access 2002 still doesn't like a 2003 created mde. I've now tried three different machines with 2002 but have yet to try another 2003 machine for creating a file.

Can anyone name the most important features that would go missing if I *did* have to convert the front end to 2000 format? More likely I will simply step myself back to 2002 as I'm the only one actively working on any of these projects, but I'm still curious.

Thanks again,
    vaedin
    Last edited by vaedin; 01-05-06 at 08:39.

I was informed elsewhere that this is a known issue, though I still can't find info from MS. An mdb created in 2003 will work with 2000 and 2002, but an mde created in 2003 will not work in 2000 or 2002. I've been advised to keep an older version of Access around and to use it for the mde conversion to ensure compatibility.

vaedin

Provided Answers: 59
    Sorry didn't catch the MDE bit in the original post.The MDE version has to be the lowest common denominator in the system - I'm not aware that you could ever save an MDE from any version of Access in an earlier format. Access has always been very sniffy about creating MDE's - you can only create an MDE if the MDB format is the same as the target format, and current version.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by vaedin
    Yeah, I fully expected no issues too. Further reading shows me not particular reason why this is happening. For testing, I created a blank file in 2003 with a single form and textbox reading, "HI" that shows on startup. The mdb file was launchable in 2002, but not the converted mde file.

There was no code at all, but perhaps it is somehow a references issue anyway?
    Update (before I even post, wow): I unchecked all the references I could, leaving VBA and Office 11 objects and Access 2002 still doesn't like a 2003 created mde. I've now tried three different machines with 2002 but have yet to try another 2003 machine for creating a file.

Can anyone name the most important features that would go missing if I *did* have to convert the front end to 2000 format? More likely I will simply step myself back to 2002 as I'm the only one actively working on any of these projects, but I'm still curious.

Thanks again,
    vaedin
    Did you uncheck the Vsox32.OXC if you have that listed in the references? I was recently given a new pc with MS11 and all the databases I had created in MS10. For some reason this was causing me errors in the newer version and worked fine after I unchecked it.