Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is dbforums dying?

This is a duplicate post, in both the Corral (where it might generate comment)and the Suggestions and Feedback (where it might eventually be noticed by someone in a position of authority).

I'm really starting to get annoyed by the almost complete lack of attention from whoever owns dbforums these days. They are allowing the scammers, the spammers, and the software theives to use the credibility/traffic that we (as contributors) have built into dbforums.

Through pretty much complete lack of any support, the owners have caused the remaining moderators to just give up trying, which I think will eventually ruin what is left of the place.

Am I way off in left field, or do other folks see this too?

-PatP

IM(not so)HV: In short yes, why? Through lack of care and zero attention from its owners. Glad to see the new owners are maintaining the same high standards that made the previous owners a legend in their own lunchtime.

Scary thought though, where would all the school kids go to get their questions answered as they don't have a help system installed on their PC's, their teachers don't teach anything remotely related to what they have to do as an assignment in their classes, and the've had lobotomy's which preclude thinking about the problem.

It DOES look like the owners got the lost threads problem fixed finally.
    Lou
    使大吃一惊
    "Lisa, in this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" - Homer Simpson
    "I have my standards. They may be low, but I have them!" - Bette Middler
    "It's a book about a Spanish guy named Manual. You should read it." - Dilbert

I've spent the last few hours addressing the issues from the first post, as well as cleaning up others as I went along.

This looks like it's going to take a bit.

For those that don't know me, my name is Dennis Johnson. I'm SoftWareRevue over at WebHostingTalk. And have admined there for some time.

iNET has asked me to help out here. So, I'm going to do that.

With the help of members like you to tell me what needs attention first, it shouldn't take too long to sort out the issues here.

I look forward to working with everyone in making dbforums a fun and resourceful community.
    Have a community? Have questions?

hi dennis

you may start by restoring all the missing archive threads

which ones would those be? i can hear you asking

here's one: http://www.dbforums.com/t1158695.html

next, in order to understand how some of us feel about the complete and utterly reprehensible treatment of your members by the inet site owners, you may read this thread -- http://www.dbforums.com/t1198344.html

then, and here's a task you can start in on immediately, you can remove the spam, warez, and other obnoxious posts that i used to spend a lot of time keeping on top of, but which now proliferate through all the forums here (hell, there's more crap on this site in the dbforum forums than in the usenet posts!)

and i personally would like an explanation of why, despite several claims that inet attempted to reach the members here, nobody contacted any of the top posters listed here -- http://www.dbforums.com/memberlist.p...sts&pp=30&ltr=

finally, but this one's optional, perhaps you might explain why i got the following error message today:
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin Message
    Your password is 13160 days old, and has therefore expired.
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

I have offered many times to help moderate the SQL Server forum and remove the spam posts, but have gotten no feedback through the very limited means provided to contact the site administrators.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Call me an optomistic cynic. We'll see what this guy does...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    hi dennis

you may start by restoring all the missing archive threads . . .
    Thanks for all your suggestions. However, we can't start here.

One foot in front of the other.

We believe it to be a bug in vBulletin. We will be updating this forum next week. Then we'll see if there are any db issues that need to be sorted.

. . . in order to understand how some of us feel about the complete and utterly reprehensible treatment of your members by the inet site owners, you may read this thread . . .
    That was one of the first threads I read. And, believe me, I understand the frustration.

you can remove the spam, warez, and other obnoxious posts
    That is where I started before I ever posted in this thread. And it is going to take some time before it's all cleaned.

i personally would like an explanation of why, despite several claims that inet attempted to reach the members here, nobody contacted any of the top posters listed here
    It appears that this community got lost in the shuffle. Completely my own observation; but that's what it looks like from here. I can't really answer your question. I can just assure you that this community is important and we are moving forward on restoring it.

perhaps you might explain why i got the following error message today:
    Because I set moderators passwords to expire in 180 days for security reasons until I can look into everything here.

We're open to suggestions for improvement. And hope to hear great ones from members.

dbforums is on the path of restoration.

We sincerely appreciate any suggestions. And will address every concern.

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    I have offered many times to help moderate the SQL Server forum and remove the spam posts, but have gotten no feedback through the very limited means provided to contact the site administrators.
    Thanks blindman. That's just what we need. Active members that would like to help.

Let me know if I added you to the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Call me an optomistic cynic. We'll see what this guy does...
    You're an optomistic cynic.

A cynoptimist.

Apparently I have become an administrator!

Okey-doke.

SoftwareRevue, as i said before I am willing to help out with the forums, at least the SQL Server forum as my time permits. Is there a spot where I can find instructions on how to perform various administrative tasks (moving threads, canning spam, etc)?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Is there a spot where I can find instructions ...
    start here: http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

We might save this site yet.

-PatP

If you are short of moderators, I'd be happy to be involved - can't make guaranteed committments but very happy ot help out where I can....

Thanks!

Which category(s) would you like?